Here I am sitting in my house. Resting and feeling okay about it. I had been down working at Faith Bible Camp, Boy's Camp. I joined our head cook Sarah Neufeld, and four other beautiful young women, two of which were my daughter's Ashley and Leah, and their/my friends Alexis Tjart and Laura Wall. I guess these three women were my girls friends first, but it was so good to be able to be counted as one of their group as we worked alongside for the past week... let me tell you - lots of laughs, lots of work, standing and serving. So. So. Good.
Today I sat doing the examen, which is something I have been doing for the past month. I sat thinking back to the week. Let me tell you, Boy's Camp is unlike any other camp. To see the male leaders loving on the young boys throughout the week, listening deeply, being friends, and teachers with the boys. Telling them when it is time to settle down, but also being in the midst of the fun with them. One of the young men leaders was my grandson Ev. He and his friend Nate are in this picture



Now, let me explain. Before this meal, all the kids are given white t-shirts (that the boy's camp owns) and they are told that this is a meal that they have to use their hands for. Well, let me tell you they use their hands!! Even the leaders get involved as you see my grandson Ev and Nate (his friend). We watched from the kitchen and had so many laughs. The kids know that this is something they can do at camp only!! On their way out they are told not to touch any walls and to take their T-shirts off immediately (cause then they go into the wash for next year!)
They took off their white shirts and their shoes and immediately were invited to play in a big pile of mud. Again the leaders had a lot of fun, and a few told me they though my son had the most fun!!
Yep even he was in the mud. They were overseeing the mud and water and the play that took place. And after all the kids left, he and Andrew made sure nothing was left in the mud.
The muddy kids chased Aaron, the lifeguard to the beach for a good swim!
That night they all looked sparkly clean at chapel. Chapel was one of my highlights as I know it was a highlight for all staff to be a part of. We did not go to the morning chapel as we were getting lunch ready, but we could take part in the evening chapel. The singing was led by the Leaders. At one point my grandson Maverick was up helping with actions too. This warmed my heart.
In the evening chapels my son Josh spoke. His came name is "Maverick" (in case you are wondering where my littles grandson got his name from. Josh is a good teacher, and uses painting/sketching to bring the points home. I appreciated his evening talks. I believe Desi, camp name "Mondo" was good teaching in the mornings too.
There was so much about being there at camp - and my whole immediate family being there too. Alvin was there to help with the boat driving so the kids could go tubing. His camp name is "Slew-foot".
He also played the trumpet when they lowered the flag every evening after saying their boys motto. Seriously I almost cry every time I hear the boys say:
"I am a boy now but one day I will be a man.
As a boy and as a man, I need:
Love, self control, conversation, courage and work"
There was so so much more, but those are some of the things that are in my heart, bringing such joy to this 68 year old granny, who worked in the kitchen! I went home with an overflowing heart, memories to stay for forever, new relationships, lots of hugs, and a promise to return LORD WILLING to work next year at Boys Camp once again!
 |
Thankful for this amazing group of young women!! Left to Right: Our "Kitchen Queen and laid-back leader" Sarah Neufeld, Laura Wall, Ashley (Daughter), Leah (daughter) Alexis Tjart with little Nora in front and myself!
|
No comments:
Post a Comment