Sunday, March 12

Where is the "frog leaf" when you need it?

not a weed, but a healing medicine found in your grass

I have been thinking about my dad lately, and also having the urge to take a shovel and look under the snow to try and find some frozen frog leaf in my yard.  I need it.  The reason my dad is attached to that desire is because it was my dad who originally went into our yard and picked a frog-leaf to place on a wound I had on my leg.  That was years ago ...

Back before the time I knew about my Metis heritage.  Back before the time to ask my dad why he had not told us more about our heritage.  Back before the time I really cared about natural medicine because riding my bike and building forts was a bigger draw.  



I wished I had asked questions then.  I wished I had known my grandma Mary-Ann Thomas who was the area's  "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" if you are my age and watched the TV series, you know what I mean. I have reason to believe that this was exactly who my grandma Thomas was.  The midwife/doctor/medicine-woman of Stoney Point and area.  I have a feeling my Grandma would have also told people about Jesus so that she could also attend to their spiritual healing.  I believe she would have given our Creator God the thanksgiving for the natural medicines she would have used on people - such as the Frog Leaf.

But I was too young to ask questions, and by the time I started to ask, my Dad passed away.  My Grandma Thomas never got to hold any of us, because she passed away while my parents were on their honey moon, but I have a feeling my grandma and I would have been close and I sometimes wonder if any part of my character resembles her.  I like to think so <3
                                                        

So why am I thinking about frog leaf and going to the backyard to shovel snow.  Well it seems I came home from my trips with amazing memories, but also what we think is a spider bite that somehow in the days after I came home, got infected to the point where I was actually feeling a little scared.  (I will be honest, the thing in my mind was the words flesh eating disease)  So I watched with vigilance.  I drew a circle around it to show where the red, hot, painful, sore area had gone to, with a dotted line further out to show where it was not red and hard, but still sore to the touch.   

I went to the doctor who gave me a medicine but also the words "watch it and if it changes, go to the hospital as you may need an IV antibiotic instead" ... and today is three full days on the strong medication.  Not sure why, but I had not thought until last night to send the request to our church prayer line, for there to be a visible reduction in hardness, redness and pain by the end of today - and Alvin and I believe there is a definite change.  I am thankful for the doctor/medication and the praying people who raised the request before the great HEALER himself!

I firmly believe if I had that leaf ... the wound would have healed quicker than this.

I am just wondering if a frozen frog leaf would have the same affect as a fresh one in summer.

AND I am also thinking perhaps next year I will harvest a few and freeze them, so that at least I can give it a try if I need to!

I am thankful that if no other medicine wisdom was learned, that at least this ONE THING was passed from my Grandma to my Dad and to me.  I have used this on both of my children and myself in years past and always the wound healed quickly.  I know that God is the amazing Creator that created all the herbal remedies that we use.  I just wish I had a chance to sit and learn from my Grandma.

In the meantime, I will rely on this "old and cheap" but strong antibiotic that the Doc put me on (I have an allergy to amoxicillin so they have to use other things" but he said this one was good.  And rely on the prayers of the community of faith around me - that has prayed for healing.

I am thankful that it is a bit better than yesterday.

Thank you HEALER!

with love,


PS 

Okay also here is my method to using the frog leaf.
I would make sure the wound was clean.  Then make sure the frog leaf was also clean, by running it under water, and drying it.  
I would take the leaf, and fold it smaller, and then bite it all over.
Then I would unfold it, apply it over the wound, and put a bandaid on top.
If needed, I would repeat the process with a fresh bitten leaf the next day or day after as needed.

Are there remedies you know of that have been passed down from your grandparents, great grandparents?  If so, do you care to share?


No comments: