Monday, July 29

When my "boys" are at camp ...

 


This morning my daughter and I left the cottage, went down the road, and brought Maverick to camp.  

This is Boys Camp.  He has been a bit anxious about it, since this is his first time.  But he is down there and so is his two boy cousins Everett (who is working in the dish pit) and Roger (who is also a camper, being his last year) and then he is also there with Slew-foot (Poppa's camp name).   Well, Auntie Leah is there too, and will also keep an eye out on the newest camper from our family.

We got there before the bus came.  And then after about 15 minutes we watched it come down the road and stop, and out came all the boys that took the bus from Winnipeg.

Seeing that camp bus always brings memories.  Originally, the camp bus used to come down the treed lane where our cottage was ... this was when the camp was on Elk Island.  70 years ago, my dad, along with his brothers, and his brothers in Christ, followed the call from God on my dad's life.  I remember those days on Elk Island.  I did not experience the army tents for cabins, and the "christmas tree beds" as my sister called them (boughs made it a bit more comfortable than laying on the ground).   By the time I came along 4 years after the camp began in 1954) I went down to camp as a month old, and then was at camp for the full summer every year until my 19th year when I had a job that only gave me two weeks off.

Camp.  Those memories are deeply embedded into my heart.  Riding the "Pelican" over to the island. (The Pelican was built as a flat bottomed boat with an end that was drawn up and down to allow people to walk on and off)  The gold colored sand in the cliffs going up.  The hawk that waited outside of our little managers cabin the year we took our little Pomeranian to camp.  Then there was the little toads, as well as the big green frogs.  The outhouses with four seaters.  Washing our faces with cold water in metal basins.  The daisy field.  The blueberries that were always in supply.  The smell of the cold cellar that was put into the ground, lined with big blocks of ice that was cut out of the lake in the winter, and then straw put on top.  I still smell the vegetables in that cold cellar. I remember when they mixed concrete and made the big shuffleboard.  I remember the army truck that was taken over to the island.  The sound of the bell (which is the same camp bell that rings today! And finding porcupine quills after a porcupine was seen under the cabin.  Cabin clean up which meant we also decorated outside with the gold sand, stones, shells, sticks or flowers.  We had skits on Sunday and what felt like a long ride to the north part of the island in the pelican.  I remember we did not swim on Sundays.  And I will always remember the hum of the dynamo which supplied all the power for the camp.  They would tell us we had about half an hour to go to the washroom, brush our teeth and get into bed until the dynamo was shut off.  And it was pitch black.  The counsellors used to read us our night devotions and story by flashlight.  Oh, and we all autographed the walls.  When we got older, sometimes we wrote 4 initials on the wall, enclosed in a heart lol.  Oh, and we had a Faith Bible Camp theme song that we sang every chapel session!

 I loved camp.  I loved those early years being a "camp kid" which basically meant we showed up for meals, and chapel, but otherwise had the run of the camp.  I realize how much trust there was that we would be safe and sound at the end of the day.  We thank God that He has always protected the campers in the water.  My sister and two other guys had a close call one day when they took the new sailboat out for a ride.  My dad kept his eye on them, and realize that the sail was in the water.  A motorboat got to them, one of them had tried to swim, and they were able to rescue him and then the other two holding onto the boat.  I think that maiden voyage for the sailboat was its one and only voyage.  

Things have changed.  Faith Bible Camp moved all their buildings across the ice during the winter of 68-69.  The little plywood cabins have been replaced with beautiful new ones which also this year include AC!!  The dining hall has been replaced with a new one - with a state of the art kitchen!   No four seater outhouses.  No cold cellar in the ground.  No shuffleboard (in fact a few years ago when we boated over to the island, there was so much erosion that the concrete was hanging half over the edge of the cliff.  The bell is still the same bell and still calls people to the next event.  There is still cabin clean up - but it doesn't include outdoor decorations any more.  The dynamo no longer supplies power.  There are still frogs, and fish flies but there is so much more as well!!  Oh and the theme song is no longer sang.  (For the Faith Bible Camp we praise Thee ....)

I could likely go on for a long time talking about memories ... but meanwhile, my prayers are for my boys.  At this point Everett likely just finished bedtime snack dishes ...  Maverick and Roger will be in their bunks for the first night of this camp.  Josh is speaking half the time, he and Leah are also on site directors or managers - I am not sure of the title - but basically they make sure things are clean and in order for each camp.  And Alvin is likely fast asleep.  He is driving the boat this week, and mentioned that spending a few hours out on the lake has tired him out.

I am glad that they are all down at Faith.  And look forward to when Ash, Matilda and I will be working down with the rest of them in a couple weeks.

It is surreal to get to see and work with the kids of people that I grew up with and worked with.

It is surreal to realize that what my Dad was called to 70 years ago, is still growing and going and telling kids about Jesus.  

It is surreal to see my grandchildren representing a third generation being blessed by my dad's obedience to following God.  And my mum's as I don't believe he could have done it without her help and blessing.

So, tonight I will go to bed, thanking God for FBC and praying that my Maverick's first year at camp is a very special one!  Surrounded by family, inh one of the most beautiful places - enjoying God's creation ... of course it will be special.

This Granny's heart is full!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The melody of the Faith Bible Camp theme song is remembered. I recall the first few lines. What precious memories of many summers at FBC.

Debbie said...

My comment above😊

Anonymous said...

I love the memories, I recall jumping jacks in the early am and group pictures. Thank you for sharing your memories Joy. I am sure Mav will have a great time. ❤️

Heather said...

Oh Joy you took me on a great trip down memory lane of summers at camp at FBC on the island. A beautiful place to be in summer. I remember all things mentioned. Unfortunately when camp moved, I was working and do have no ties to the mainland camp. Thanks for sharing. ❤️