Saturday, October 6

A Season of Thanksgiving

This is Thanksgiving Weekend. It is always bittersweet for me. 10 years ago my dad spent his last meal with us. As we sat around the table, we decided to write down (on little cut out leaves) what we were thankful for. If I had known that it was the last time my dad would sit and eat with us, perhaps I would have told him even more. My dad was a man who meant the world to me. He was the one that would give me advice if I asked. He was the one who always sensed when something was not quite right in my world!! He was the one who prayed daily for me and my family. He was "poppa" to my kids. He pulled out all the stops with them, at times bordering on spoiling them. I realize as I get older that I am alot like my dad. I am not sure if others see it as much. I had the privilege of working with my father in business for 6 years, and I learned alot from him. When I recite the quote "the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree" I realize that it relates to me too! I am terribly proud of where I have come from, and today thank God for a rich heritage - parents who taught me about Jesus, who loved me and guided me with unconditional love, no matter what I did. Parents who taught me that it was important to live fully and use the gifting and talents that are God-given. Parents who loved each other and who made sure that we heard and experienced their love. Parents who gently nudged when I needed that too. Parents who blessed me and my husband, who affirmed and who prayed for us and for the kids. 10 years ago, having just lost my mom, who'd have thought that in less than a month, we would also lay Dad to rest. I remember standing by their grave side, after the boys finished shovelling the sand back on top of Dad's casket, and thinking of how important they were to me. And, to my family. The many times I have gone to their grave site since, I have often wondered what my kids and their kids will think as they stand around my grave. Oh, that I can grasp life an live it fully - with no regrets, so that one day, whenever that day comes, my kids as well, will also stand and say, "my mom loved me, she prayed for me, she affirmed and blessed me, she loved my dad, she loved to laugh and she lived life to the fullest!" Because in that, they will find peace even amidst the hard stuff of loss.

Seems a little sad in some ways thinking this way, but that is part of what my Thanksgiving always entails. A bittersweet time, because even now, 11 and 10 years later since God took my Mom and Dad "home" I still miss them so much!! And often long to tell them the latest about my kids achievements, or just catch up on the day, or to hear them call me "honey".

But, in spite of the missing them, I can still say, Happy Thanksgiving. God, I am so thankful, I am truly blessed. Thank You Lord. As the weather outside today is grey and cool (about 9 degress celcius) and dreary, inside, in my heart, all is well in the world. :) Happy Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

ashleymarie said...

you are wonderful mom, and every day i realize that more and more. i love you and dad both so much.
love, ash