Friday, November 1

God ordained encounter in the Chicago O'Hare airport

Should have gotten a pic with him, but not so great at selfies...  So I just snapped this one 
The Chicago airport is a bustling place.  People of all shapes, sizes, heights and race bustling back and forth, along with the honking of vehicles that are transporting those who need a ride.  I love to people watch.  I had a couple hours of it in the itinerary today, but that quickly turned into more time as the plane was delayed.  There is only so much coffee one can drink.  I moseyed on back to F4 where the plane was supposed to be arriving shortly for our flight.  Surveying the small waiting area, I saw one place toward the corner.  A lone man sat there, with a seat beside him.  I went and sat down.  He moved his bag over to give me more room.  I mentioned that perhaps the plane would be even longer than expected, to which he replied that he was just hanging out in that area as he had some hours till his flight. And from that our conversation ensued.
Dan, a man who began his dream job with United airlines (not a pilot) after he retired from his main job.  He asked me what I did, to which I replied, that I had been a pastor, but now I am the director of a non profit retreat ministry.  He looked at me, and asked me which denomination I had been a pastor for.  He quickly said, not that it matters, but he knew not all denominations were for female pastors.  He then asked me more about the retreat centre.  He told me he was happy that it also included women AND men for retreating, as he felt it was so needed.  Somehow we had a segway to the YouVersion app and he mentioned that he loved a certain translation.  Our conversation was short but sweet and I gave him a business card, and told him to look us up if he and his wife ever came to Manitoba.  He took out his wallet and tucked the card into it.  (I have a feeling I may hear from him one day).

The airline personnel went on the loudspeaker to say the plane had arrived and we would be boarding once it was checked over and cleaned.  Dan said it would be about 15-20 minutes more for me, and then he turned to me and said, "would it be okay if I prayed for you?"  I said absolutely.  And there we sat in the corner - the two of us, my hand in his.  He lifted me before the Throne Room.    He thanked God for the divine encounter and for bringing me along into his life at that time.  He prayed for me and the ministry.  Once he said Amen, I prayed for him. When we were done, I told him how I needed that encouragement and prayer.  I shared that my heart was heavy today, as I had received some really hard news from a friend. I looked this new friend in the eyes and thanked him for praying for me.

I had to run to the washroom and then came back to get into line to board.  I looked in the corner and he was not there.  For a brief moment, I wondered if he was really a UNITED airlines worker, or if he was an angel that God sent to encourage me.  But as I walked to give the ticket agent my passport, I looked to the left and saw Dan over on the other side.  We exchanged smiles, and a wave.  New friends.  Prayer buddies.  God-ordained.  Amazing.  ONLY. GOD.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your share on this experience, I have incountered these experiences in my life as well at airports and various other places that left me in awe to say the least.These moments have also brought me to a place where I can be that guy. God is so amazing.