Monday, March 23

It would be so easy to be anxious ...

Steady my heart
Breathe in, breathe out.
God ... it would be so easy to be anxious ...
Help me to feel YOUR presence in the midst of this.


It seems that this is what I continually need to do - to breathe and let Holy Spirit speak in deeply to the depths of my being.
And he does - no doubt - He really does.

There are things that are happening these days that could cause us to stop dead in our tracks,
and want to run for the hills, with our families all intact with us.
Things that cause us to second guess who we see and how much.
Things that cause us to wonder, did I wash my hands long enough?  How long does it take to sing the ABCD song ..

It feels crazy and sometimes I want to shout STOP IT!!
Like that would make any difference except to give me voice for the angst that can easily build up
Angst like how much worse will it really get?
What if it .......  (you can fill in your blank)

And in the midst of it all, His voice speaks:  Peace!  Be Still.

Peace.
Be
Still


PEACE
BE STILL

And it takes me back to Scripture that I read just a little while ago during my daily reading - in the book of Mark.  Many of you have heard this story of Jesus Calming the Storm.

Mark 4:35-41 New Living Translation (NLT)

Jesus Calms the Storm

35 As evening came, Jesus said to his disciples, “Let’s cross to the other side of the lake.” 36 So they took Jesus in the boat and started out, leaving the crowds behind (although other boats followed). 37 But soon a fierce storm came up. High waves were breaking into the boat, and it began to fill with water.
38 Jesus was sleeping at the back of the boat with his head on a cushion. The disciples woke him up, shouting, “Teacher, don’t you care that we’re going to drown?”
39 When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Silence! Be still!” Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm. 40 Then he asked them, “Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?”
41 The disciples were absolutely terrified. “Who is this man?” they asked each other. “Even the wind and waves obey him!”

When I think of it, I (we) are like those disciples in the boat.  Now, I don't like the lake per se (almost drowned when I was 12) BUT in my early years, from the age of birth to 10 years old, I crossed our LAKE WINNIPEG many many times.  USUALLY my dad was the driver of the barge that I was riding on.  I had faith in my dad, totally trusted him when he was driving that or the motor boat.  Thing was tho, our Lake Winnipeg can whip up into a nasty storm and believe me, you do NOT want to be on the Lake during that time ... or if you are, you were likely praying that you would get to shore safely.  

If you have had this experience, you know the feeling in the pit of your stomach - of the waves taking your boat up and down - and the water splashing into the boat and onto the people with every wave.  Let alone the fear of not being able to see the shore, or the worry about even getting there.  Then the worries about - what if I end up in the water?   Lake or Sea experiences can be very frightening, and we see that fear expressed in the disciples!  
Thing is, they had yet to find out who Jesus REALLY WAS... which is expressed in their question to Jesus "Teacher don't you care that we are going to drown?"  
Maybe they were tempted to shout "Jesus - wake up - how can you sleep during this?  Get up and help us - do something!"  They did not say that, but really, I think those thoughts were likely on the tip of their tongue.
And Jesus ... He got up.  He rebuked the waves and wind!  And it was still.  
Just like that.  Peaceful.  Calm.  Still

It is an interesting story, placed in between his parable teaching, and then right before Jesus delivered a demon possessed man.  I think it makes so much sense.  
And this is what I am thinking -  (don't shoot me if you don't agree, remember these are MY thoughts on this, and my blog :)
I believe that the enemy/devil knew about the demon possessed man.  He knew that when Jesus and his disciples reached the other side of the lake, the man who had lived in the tombs because of his demonic possession would greet Jesus.  Which he did.  He ran and fell on his knees before Jesus.  The demons within him spoke, addressing Jesus.  The demons name was Legion because he said, "for we are many" and then begged Jesus to send them from the man, into the heard of pigs.  Yes - demons know who Jesus is.  Remember how the devil became the devil?  Demons shudder at the sound of Jesus name.
I believe that the devil knew what Jesus was going to encounter and he didn't like that.  And I think he was likely quite pleased that there was fear in the boat!!  (until Jesus spoke)
The longer it took to cross the Lake the better it was ... I believe the devil knew that he could use those waves to shake the disciples belief, and have fear set in ...
The longer it took for Jesus to meet the demon possessed man ... the better (I think maybe that is what satan thought) as remember the devil likes to kill steal and destroy - but Jesus delivered this man and gave him LIFE TO THE FULL!!
I believe that God is fully in control, and He allows NOTHING to happen without his knowing.  But look at Job, we know that hard things - tragedies do happen.  We may not, NO - clarify - WE DO NOT usually understand why bad things happen ... but God still remains sovereign.   I do not understand why God gives satan permission to shake Job to his core, or to sift Peter like wheat ... and lets be honest, I know I am not the only one that has shouted out WHY GOD WHY... WHY DID YOU .... (again you can fill in the blanks)
I will also say, I think as with any of us who are parents and we have heard the ranting and ravings and tears of our children ... I believe our Father is okay with our stuff too!  We do not have to feel bad, or "sinful" for expressing our heart to our Father God.  

SO ... in the midst of the storm (which I am sure the devil loved to see those waves scaring the life out of the men in the boat) ... Jesus spoke and Peace came!    In the midst of the worst ever life for the demon possessed man in the tombs - Jesus spoke and delivered him and filled him with Peace and gave him LIFE to the full.  
My thoughts are that this Scripture is for me - for you - for us today.    I am not normally an anxious person.  My anxiety started back when I was pastoring after losing my grandson Jay.  I had not know anxiety up to that point.  It felt overwhelming and like I needed to run.  Lately, my anxiety has been big again (starting last summer). While I know have the tools to know why it happens and how to work with it, it still feels like I am being smothered.  I hate it.  Lately I have experienced a bit more, along with a sadness of what is happening.  Thing is, in regards to then latest thing flooding our lives ... we need to listen and pay attention to what our government is encouraging us to do in the midst of COVID-19.  

Is God in the midst of this - I believe He is.  Could he just snap his fingers and kill the virus, I believe He could.  Why doesn't He?  Well, that is a big question that I am not going to tackle here - but what I do want to say is this - I believe in the midst of this "storm" I am hearing HIS voice - Peace!  Be Still.    I believe that the BE STILL part is for me - for my soul, for my anxious heart, Peace.  Be Still.    I believe that God knows this and also knows the end of it, and that somehow the journey through this section of life is going to bring about things that we could never imagine - for our good, and for the good of others, and for HIS good.  

I also however believe that the enemy satan still is the one that wants to kill, steal and destroy and wants us to be fearful in this time.  I believe he loves to see us doubting the goodness of God, or even if He is Sovereign.  I believe that the enemy wants to see us living lives that are fearful, and despair filled, and anxiety laden and whatever else you are feeling, but friends, let's not let satan rob us!  Lets press into Jesus.  Pray!  Sing!  Worship!  Read His Word.  Sit in His presence.  Listen for his voice!
Remember that Jesus warned his disciples and us ... about the thief ... but Jesus said, HE HAS OVERCOME THE WORLD.  Jesus said that in this life we would have trials - but He has come to bring life to the full.    So, in the midst of all of this ... when it would be so easy to be anxious - breathe in - breathe out - and experience all that Jesus has for you - in the midst of these times!  

Those are my thoughts for today,
Trusting my LORD for peace during the midst of this storm!

With love,
J

No comments: