Wednesday, March 25

Chickadees, Life Reminders and Singing



They sing. It's early morning, sun is getting up still and I can hear the song of the chickadee. It is unmistakeable and beautiful .


During the day I see them, and many other birds including my Blue Jays (which hold a special significance for me) as they come to the feeders. Yes, I should figure out a different plan, as the squirrels also love the feed that falls though the deck below and sometimes ends up in the vents in our cars! However, I am not really willing to put their feeders anywhere else. Why? Because I love watching them from our front window.


The Blue Jays, the chickadees, the nuthatches, the woodpeckers including the odd appearance of the big Pilated Woodpecker. And oh, even the crows come when they can to take peanuts away from the Jays.


Regardless of the weather - they come. Even when the seeds are down to a minimum, they come.

And they are teaching this gal about life.


What are my lessons today:

- In the midst of the unknown they sing. EVEN IN THE MIDST OF A PREDATOR DANGER

- they do not worry about whether my feeder is full or not, they just go to where they hope there is food, or has been food before

- they trust that what is in the bowl is for their own good

- the internet says they know where the food source is (which is why it is a good thing IF you are feeding birds, to continue to feed them and not just quit)

- they sing and call for many reasons. Did you know that for instance, the cute little black capped chickadees .... have 16 calls!! 8 of them are regular and they believe that their language is complex like the human language!! This to me was unbelievable and so fascinating!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reKoV7pD9CA


The other day, the song HIS EYE IS ON THE SPARROW was on my heart. An old one, but such a good one. One that I grew up with, and hope that it never evades my memory!

I searched wikipedia and found this re: His Eye is on the Sparrow: "The theme of the song is inspired by the words of David in the Psalms and Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew in the Bible: "I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye (Psalm 32:8). "Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?" (Matthew 6:26) and "Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows" (Matthew 10:29–31).

Civilla Martin, who wrote the lyrics, said of her inspiration to write the song based on the scriptures:

Early in the spring of 1905, my husband and I were sojourning in Elmira, New York. We contracted a deep friendship for a couple by the name of Mr. and Mrs. Doolittle—true saints of God. Mrs. Doolittle had been bedridden for nigh twenty years. Her husband was an incurable cripple who had to propel himself to and from his business in a wheel chair. Despite their afflictions, they lived happy Christian lives, bringing inspiration and comfort to all who knew them. One day while we were visiting with the Doolittles, my husband commented on their bright hopefulness and asked them for the secret of it. Mrs. Doolittle's reply was simple: "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me." The beauty of this simple expression of boundless faith gripped the hearts and fired the imagination of Dr. Martin and me. The hymn "His Eye Is on the Sparrow" was the outcome of that experience.



My mom was much like Mrs. Doolittle. Whenever in the hospital, my mom was known by the nurses and doctors as such as the "sweet little lady in Room number ..."      Like Mrs. Doolittle, she was always thankful. I remember the time that she even thanked the nurse who had poked and prodded her for a long time, trying to get the vein to give a sample of blood. My mom lived her life - she was "Jesus with skin on" to those around her. She was sweet and thankful at all times right up until she quit talking and lapsed into her unconsciousness a few days before her heaven going. I know my mom loved watching the birds too ... her bird book was one of the things I wanted when she passed away.

I think that God made the birds to teach us about life. I believe HIS eye is on the sparrow, and the chickadee and the Blue Jay ...  I believe his eye is also on me! 

Me and my anxious heart. Me and my million thoughts that crowd my sleep. Me and the tears that sometimes roll down my cheeks for seemingly no reason.  Me - this 61 year old wife, mom, Granny, sister, aunt, friend ... ME.  

I believe his eye is on the birds of the air such as the lowly Sparrow or the cheery little Chickadee, or the brave Blue Jay -  but that his heart is even more for us - his creation that He put a soul in. It is this soul within me that sees the birds, and is reminded of, and understands HIS love and care towards me. It is the soul within me that knows HE is with me through each day, no matter what. Even though these anxious days of the "Virus" ...  It is the soul within me that looks for His fingerprints all over my day, and also recognizes the tangible presence of the Holy Spirit within.

 If I was the chickadee I would be singing!! Hey ... who needs to be a bird!! He has made me - and  I have a voice to praise Him.  I can sing!  So, the song that was on my heart the other day - I have it here below, by one of my favorite artists - Join Me in praise!!

 
I sing because I'm Happy, I sing because I'm Free
His Eye is on the Sparrow ~ and I know He Watches Me 

love
  J




"

No comments: