Thursday, October 20

Turn Your Eyes




This morning as I worked through my devotional time with the Lord, I have been struck by the fact that I am often like a "kid in a candy store" (figuratively but also literally) as I go through life!  I am often star struck by the things that appeal outwardly to me, or inwardly to my sugar cravings.  I often go through life when things are going well (which does happen) and it seems at those times, I do not turn my eyes fully on my Jesus who is the author and creator of my life!!  I continue to struggle with being self sufficient!

This morning I read through Scripture, and did my Bible Study that I am doing (Stepping Up: A Journey through the Psalms of Ascent by Beth Moore) and TODAY I was really profoundly struck by a few things that she said.  One of them was that:

WHERE I LOOK impacts WHAT I HEAR which impacts 
                                  WHAT I FEEL which impacts WHAT I EXPECT





In his book, A Long Obedience in the Same Direction, Eugene Peterson says it like this (page 63)

"We are not presented with a functional god who will help us out of jams or an entertainment god who will lighten our tedious hours.  We are presented with the God of exodus and Easter, the God of Sinai and Calvary.  If we want to understand God, we must do it on his terms.  If we want to see God the way he really is, we must look to the place of authority - to Scripture and to Jesus Christ.


And do we really want it any other way?  I don't think so.  We would very soon become contemptuous of a god whom we could figure out like a puzzle or learn to use like a tool.  No, if God is worth our attention at all, he must be a God we can look up to - a God we must look up to ... The moment we look  up to God (and not over at him, or down on him) we are in the posture of servitude."



I have realized that I look to things often.  I struggle with my weight and continually give in to "the candy in the candy shop" because I look at it and want it and if my defences are down - I will buy it and eat it!!  Why don't I look to Him to help me with all of it?  I continually want to, but often don't.  Isn't it Paul that said he does what he does not want to do?

This morning, as I read through my devotions, as I began the time with face-down prayer with the Lord, there is one song that has continued to run through my heart and mind.  I used to sing this alot in the little chapel and camp I grew up in.  I am including the rendition sung by Michael W. Smith who blesses me with his music.

It is my prayer today and in the days to come, that I will TURN MY EYES UPON JESUS and look FULL in his wonderful face!!  O Lord, have mercy!!


No comments: