Wednesday, December 28

lulling myself to sleep

I am sitting here in our kids house.  Alvin left to go home and since we are here in separate vehicles, I am waiting until our kids get home.  Everett is fast asleep in his room.  His "new" room as we call it.  His "new" bed (no crib for a few weeks now).  His room is pretty nice - his daddy and mommy have painted it, and made it special.  It has a bit of a "wildlife" theme going on, complete with a little "bear head" mounted on the wall to complete the theme.  Don't worry it is a child friendly bear head!  They have given the room a fresh and new color and coat of paint, and then drawn some mountains, and trees and a few other little things.  Everett has adapted quite well to his new room.  And, he loves having it pitch black, and does not want anyone laying down beside him.  He made that clear to them right away.  So after the bedtime routine is finished (get his jammies on, brush and floss teeth, read, sing and pray) then he goes into his sleep sack and they kiss him good night and shut the door.  It is a very easy routine, and has made babysitting very easy ever since he was very little!  ANYHOW.  Tonight I came and didn't see him because they were already in process of putting him down for his sleep and I didn't want to create any stir. Then they came out, and turned his baby monitor on.

It was very cute to listen to.  Everett was busy talking.  "Elmo.  Elmo. Elmo.  Me. Me. Auntie. Auntie.  One Show.  One Show.  Daddy.  Daddy.  One show.  Poppa.  Tractor ..."
Those were a few of the things he said.  It is cute actually because I realize he loves ALL of the things he said!!  He talked a lot more ... interspersed with some other stuff - a sort of sing-song-talking or LULLING himself to sleep.  Leah said he has been a real busy two year old - with many activities/family/friends/Christmas gatherings/later than normal nights/fuller than normal days and that he is tired, but is likely trying to wind down.  Before too long, it was quiet, and has been since.  Our little Sweetness is fast asleep.   Lulled to sleep.  I have to admit, his talking made me smile!  I think I even heard my name mentioned!!

I looked up the definition of "lull" in the online free dictionary.  Here is what it says:


ThesaurusLegend:  Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Noun1.lull - a pause during which things are calm or activities are diminished; "there was never a letup in the noise"
pausesuspensionintermissioninterruptionbreak - a time interval during which there is a temporary cessation of something
2.lull - a period of calm weather; "there was a lull in the storm"
calmness - an absence of strong winds or rain
Verb1.lull - calm by deception; "Don't let yourself be lulled into a false state of security"
calmstilltranquilizetranquillisetranquillizecalm downquietquietenlull - make calm or still; "quiet the dragons of worry and fear"
2.lull - become quiet or less intensive; "the fighting lulled for a moment"
silencestillhushhush upquietenshut up - cause to be quiet or not talk; "Please silence the children in the church!"
3.lull - make calm or still; "quiet the dragons of worry and fear"
lull - calm by deception; "Don't let yourself be lulled into a false state of security"
compose - calm (someone, especially oneself); make quiet; "She had to compose herself before she could reply to this terrible insult"
appeaseassuageconciliategentlegruntlelenifymollifypacifyplacate - cause to be more favorably inclined; gain the good will of; "She managed to mollify the angry customer"
reassureassure - cause to feel sure; give reassurance to; "The airline tried to reassure the customers that the planes were safe"
comfortconsolesolacesoothe - give moral or emotional strength to


It has made me think - what would I be saying as I lulled myself to sleep? What would I say as I tried to make myself calm, or still!  (oh boy, being still is sometimes the hardest thing to do!)   Sometimes I hop into bed, and it takes a very long time for my mind to settle down enough so that I can fall asleep!  It seems that is when the thoughts of the day are going a million miles an hour in a million directions!  A few times I have finally just gotten up, turned on a light, found a paper and pencil and written down something so that I don't have to worry about forgetting int he morning.

Sometimes though, I have found that I have prayed myself to sleep.  Praying for an old friend whose daughter has been going through some cancer ... praying for a friend who is trying to regain her strength after having cancer .... praying for my kids... praying for our ministry.... praying for myself ... praying for my friend's husband's job hunt .... praying for a friend with depression ... and on and on.
I find that more often than not, I fall asleep praying.

The other night I put on a beautiful CD that I bought at Eastview from an artist who used to be with the Beautiful Unique Girl tour through Family Life Network.  (sorry I don't have her name here with me) but it is such a nice CD that she made especially for those who find it hard, like she does, to go to sleep.

I am going to try to begin to go to bed earlier so that hopefully I can wake up easier in the morning.  I am not a morning person, but I really really want to be, and think that perhaps this is the answer.  When we begin to do B&B/Retreat, I will for sure have to get up early!!  Thinking I may have to wear some earplugs when Alvin is home, since we are in a temporary one-room set up and the TV would be a bit hard to fall asleep too (although I have no problem falling asleep on the couch!).  I have a constant ringing in my ears too.  CONSTANT!  Have had this since June 2009.  And when all is quiet - the ringing is even more noticeable!

Lulling myself to sleep!  If there was a "baby monitor" put in beside me, with someone listening in - what would I be saying to lull myself to sleep?  Perhaps you would tune into my dialogue with my Father!  You may hear things like Thank You Lord!  I am so glad that all I have to do is meditate on things of Him.   To be still.  To quiet myself!   Actually to allow Him to lull me to sleep!  Safe in His arms!!  (will have to tell you about my dream some time!)  I leave you with the verse in Philippians 4:8.  As you go to sleep tonight, may you and I both think of these things as listed here - and may God grant you a sleep that is restful - refreshing, and renewing!  Night my Friend.  Good-Night!

Philippians 4:8

The Message (MSG)

 8-9Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.