Friday, March 29

Man of Sorrows, what a name!




I grew up in a little Brethren chapel - Arlington St. Gospel Chapel - in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
This was the church that my mom and dad began attending after my dad gave his life to Jesus.  I attended here right up until I was just over 20, at which time I left to attend the Mennonite Brethren church that my husband was a part of.

Lots has changed - I have changed.  I have grown in my love for Jesus.  I have grown in my love for the Word of God - the Bible.  I have grown in my prayer life - and I see the Holy Spirit at work and I am in awe!

Tonight, on the evening of "Good Friday" I am sitting here alone - mulling over the events of the last couple days.  Last night - we hosted a Christian Passover meal - and then watched a segment from the DVD - The Gospel According to Matthew.  Today we sat in the first service at Eastview Community Church, and the story of Jesus going to the cross for me/us - again washed over me - and in me.
What a Saviour!!

In the past hour or so, the words from a hymn that I grew up with but have not sang in a long time, they have kept running across my thoughts.  The Song is called Man of Sorrows - and I can "hear" it being sung on a Sunday morning.  We didn't use a piano or organ for the Breaking Bread service, which we did every Sunday.  That is one of the sweetest parts of my Brethren upbringing.  We broke bread and celebrated the Lord's Supper every Sunday - and NO - IT NEVER GOT OLD!

We sang out of a little black "Believer's Hymnal" with only words, no notes ...
And one of the men would start the tune.  At a certain point in the hour, someone would pray for the bread, and then go and tear the loaf in two and pass one half on either side and we would pull a piece from it - and take and eat it in remembrance of HIM.
Then another man would pray for the cup.  A cup full of strong communion wine - and one silver cup would be passed on either side, and we all drank from the same cup.  DO THIS IN REMEMBRANCE OF ME.

I miss that.
Breaking Bread every Sunday
pulling a soft piece of bread from the loaf
taking
eating
in remembrance of Him.

The cup
strong smell of wine
a sip taken and cup passed to the next person
As oft as you do this - eat this bread
drink this wine
do this in remembrance of Me until I come

Lord.
I
remember
what
YOU
have
done
for
ME.

And I thank you!

So these words - they are speaking to my soul.
May they also speak to yours,
This rendition also includes part of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
but the main part - is the same!!



Man of Sorrows,” what a name
For the Son of God who came
Ruined sinners to reclaim
Hallelujah! what a Savior!

Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood;
Hallelujah! what a Savior!

Guilty, vile, and helpless, we
Spotless Lamb of God was He
Full atonement—can it be?
Hallelujah! what a Savior!

Lifted up was He to die,
“It is finished!” was His cry;
Now in heaven exalted high;
Hallelujah! what a Savior!

When He comes, our glorious King,
All his ransomed, home to bring
Then anew this song we’ll sing
Hallelujah! what a Savior!


Source: http://www.hymnal.net/hymn.php/h/108#ixzz2OzJX8H8g


1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.