Sunday, October 19

life is but a vapour ...


life is but a vapour 


I don't think I am the only one
that sits at a funeral
and wonders about my own
or about my spouse's
(depending on which of us goes first0

I don't think I am the only one
that wonders what would be said
or things that would bring a chuckle
or the songs that would represent me
as pictures of my life scrolled down the screen
for all to see

The Bible says that God has ordained the number of our days
before even one of them comes to be
The Bibles says that God saw us from the time we were "knit together in our mother's womb"
and knows which will be the day we take our last breath
The Bible says that "even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death"
He is there with me
And I
I (with all my heart) believe that the Bible is TRUTH.

life is but a vapour 

Today I sat in a funeral
where tears rolled down cheeks at times
and chuckles were heard during a tribute
where there was the singing of ABIDE IN ME to begin with
but also songs of praise to end with
where the life of the deceased was talked about
and one knew that God was honoured through the life well lived

I am in the stage of life
where friends, and acquaintances are getting sick
and dying
where friends and acquaintance's funerals become a type of "social" life
I remember those days when a phone call with my mom, would bring me up to date
on which funeral they had been at
or who had just gotten a diagnosis
or died

I remember thinking that their (my parents) lives were full of attending funerals and memorial gatherings
of saying good-bye to those they knew and loved
a time of writing out sympathy cards
responding with a visit
or a meal
and praying
oh the praying ...

life is but a vapour 


Today I sat at the funeral
and before it began
something happened that perhaps brought a big of a "gasp" to my thoughts
You see - somehow I don't feel like I am getting older
(what do you mean my kids are 32 and 29!!)
Before the funeral began however
I felt like I was confronted with the reality of life in the lives of my peers my age or thereabouts
My daughter's friend hugged me and we chatted a bit
About being "too young" to have a friend that has lost a parent.
I was 37 and then 38 when I lost my mom, then my dad
I felt too young to become parent less!
And then she said it does feel very hard, very surreal - to realize that the parents of her friends are getting sick
and dying
My mind caught that "her friend's parents are dying"
her friend - at least one of them, is my daughter
her friend's parents - well, we are in that category

and while we are currently in good health
this funeral today
as well as ones coming up
remind me that our lives are but a vapour
here
gone
seen
unseen

just
like
a
vapour
here
and then
 ...  gone

life is but a vapour 


today's funeral made me think
the processional
the objects that were lovingly placed upon the casket that housed his earthly home
the roses
the music
the reflections
the mediation
the eulogy
and the band's rendition of It Is Well With My Soul gave me goosebumps
and God knows that
as well as the number of my days

tomorrow is another funeral
another friend
another service of celebrations
no doubt there will be pictures too.
and I will once again sit
and reflect
on what has been - what is - and what will be
my life
from beginning
to today, the present
to the future

our life is but a vapour 

O Lord God - for each one - each family that is mourning the loss of loved ones - Lord God - please be their strength.  Flood their memory with sweet memories.  Overwhelm them with your strength and your peace.  Surround them with those who will hold them up in prayer as they walk through each day.  And may each one know the hope that comes, with their loved one believing that you are God!  And Heaven is for real - and will be part of the story, and something to look forward to, as one day - we will be reunited.  And Lord God - please help me to live - each day FULLY abandoned to you - the giver of life!  Amen


James 4:14New International Version (NIV)

14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.

life is but a vapour 

life
is
but
a
vapour (mist)
~
appears for a little while
and then 
.          .










No comments: