Friday, January 28

perhaps a little more about the previous post


This isn't a picture from today but I like this one  so I thought I would share it here.

Today is Friday.  The sky is sort of blue.  The sun is shining (Thank You God) and I sit inside a warm. home, with a fire going, as I watch a huge squirrel polishing off the bird food on the deck!  This is my day and I am thankful today.   I am thankful for many things in the midst of these tough times.  However, as I am thinking backwards and reflecting on the last couple days, I feel it is important for me to respond to some messages I have gotten.  

I want to clarify, that I was not looking for any pity at all.  Seriously this is life.  This happens even without Covid, that sometimes we are the subject of someone else's words.  So no pity needed.  And really - I am not a victim at all.   It was just me - Joy - sharing my heart on my blog.  Now, that being said, I appreciate your feedback.  I guess I realized that people do read this blog.  

So let me respond - and may God direct these words.  As I write, I am listening to the LIVE gathering that is on, with our Health officials.  So the reality of ongoing Covid stuff is real.  I know it.  I hear it.  I feel it.  And I grieve over it in some respects.  And I will be honest, it makes me just want to shut off life and just sit with creation - enjoying the sound of the wind and the chirping of the birds, the movement of the clouds, the feel of the January sunshine on me.  But then again, that is also what I like to do even without covid and its ramifications on our life. 

Think of it - I am sure I am not the only one that looks backwards and the last two years feel like this merged block of time vs 2020, and 2021 as two separate years.  Life is too short to be caught up in the whirlwind of craziness. 

I spoke the other day about my encounter with those emails/words on facebook etc that created some hurt. And I expressed my heart.  I know that many of your are experiencing hard and hurtful things as well. I am very aware that actions have caused alienation, and have caused loneliness and so many struggling with mental health.  And I know that while we want unity, many of us have been affected by broken and cut off relationships.  And while there is a lot to your reasons why you do or say something, the same goes for each of us, me included.  

I am also aware that MY actions have caused the same for others, and I am sorry about that.  I really am.  Nothing feels worse than broken relationships. Nothing.  

I think the thing that made me the most sad is not just that people feel they have the right to tell you off, but that people feel they have the right to tell you (or me) that you don't love Jesus (according to their bar that is set) to which I want to say "Who in the world gets the right to be judge and jury on our relationship with the Almighty?  As if God Himself saves us on the basis of a vaccine or not.  As if TRUTH is only there for one side or the other.  Where do we as believers get off on telling someone that they are not a believer?  Or that they are severing relationships because 

I suggested to one person that perhaps we could agree to disagree, but that was not enough.  That was made very clear.  Instead we navigate life, walking around, and over and under the big elephant in the room, and he continues to grow bigger.  I would be the first to say, there are often times when I am in a conversation, and I have no words.  Why?  Because I will be honest - I am not trying to defend why I did or did not do something.  

I am aware that these times are hard.  I recognize the emotions that have come out.  I myself have had to give God my confession, repenting over anger from time to time.  I think we all have to account for ourselves and seriously what is good for you may not be what I choose and vice versa.  

But the anger...  I guess my worry is, what happens to the anger that we are seeing out there?  Where will it go.  How will relationships ever be restored.  That is the part that really saddens me.

Believe me, I am not a victim. And like I said - please do not "poor you, I feel sorry for you" me... again, I was just sharing my heart.

We talk about unity - and come from all of this on one side, but then post something that really is nothing more than stirring a pot, or causing dissension to rise, and confusing people.  So what is your point really? We have a responsibility to God first, and from that should flow the outward responses.  And if your response and mine do not align - and if agreeing to disagree does not do it for you - then that is okay.  You can easily unfriend or unfollow anyone on facebook - even me.  Do we only have unity when we are all on the same side of the fence?  May God give us that wisdom.

Oh man, at this point, I am not even sure if I know what I am trying to say.

Perhaps the bottom line should just be this.  Speak with love.  Don't rip strips off of people.  Pray for others even when we do not agree.  Do not judge, as Scripture say that the way we judge will be the way we ourselves will be judged.  If that one doesn't shake us - then what would.   Find ways to love on people even anonymous ways that may bring joy to someones day.  And don't give up on one another.  As God has not ever given up on us!!  

Instead - I think there are ways that can help us navigate through this time:  I have been trying to do this, and some days are better than the other.  But I suggest:

  • Stop! - taking a good breath (or two or three) and recalling Gratitude!  Name three things that we are grateful for (I like to reflect either in the morning for the day before, or at the evening.  
  • And give it all to God - stretch out your hands, palms up, unclenched and even say "God I am giving all of this to you.  You are the only One that can make any sense of it, and bring true peace to my soul."  
  • Spend time listening for His words. Quiet.  Settled. Ears attentive.  Ask Him to "Speak LORD for you are listening." 
  • Live life fully.  Go for that walk.  Step out of the craziness and take in His creation. Listen to some good music as you walk.  Or talk with Him out loud.  Don't worry you see people talking out loud these days all the time - as many are on their cells with earbuds in - so you won't look weird!  lol
  • Journal or blog  (but be willing to have the feedback, OR turn off your comments lol)
  • Laugh with your children.  Sing to the song on the radio.  Dance like no one is watching!

With that, I close - I am stepping out of the craziness of life and spending time with Him as He is the only one that stays stable.  He stays faithful.  He stays loving and kind and forgiving.  Going for that walk now!! 

In closing, I leave you with this Scripture:  Psalm 73:25-26 from The Passion Translation

 

Whom have I in heaven but you? 
You’re all I want!
No one on earth means as much to me as you
Lord, so many times I fail; 
I fall into disgrace.
But when I trust in you, 
I have a strong and glorious presence
protecting and anointing me. 
Forever you’re all I need!



O LORD you are ALL I/we need
with love,
j


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am very sorry but not really surprised to hear how badly people have behaved to you online, Joy. Sadly, I think we often resemble the religious people in the Bible - both O.T. and N.T. - who were preoccupied with literal obedience to their understanding of God given rules while completely missing the spirit of the law. I know that I along with many others need to remember this, and want to work to capture the sense that each human being is a sacred gift of God. I don't have the right to humiliate and hurt people, nor to suggest they aren't true believers no matter how wrong or silly I find their opinions to be. But I do love to hear others discuss ideas or to participate in discussions of ideas myself. I hope that we as a community can find gracious ways to disagree on and even dispute issues. All thinking people will have differences, whether within our particular Christian community or the world at large. I think that your suggestion that we sometimes just step back is a good start.