Saturday, September 27

Getting called "MOM" for the first time....



Today is the day after my baby girl's wedding. And yesterday, my new son MIchael called me MOM for the first time! I had teased him the other day when he called me by my first name, that in a little while I would not longer respond to my first name. Of course I was teasing him. But yesterday, when he called me mom, my heart melted. What is it about hearing that? O Lord, thank you for kids!

My feet are sore (seems they have a hard time adjusting to shoes that are not orthotic!) I got to try out the "body wrap" - a little something that you wear underneath, to give you that "held together" smoothing look! I woke up this morning with a killer headache, that I attribute to lack of sleep over the past month! My hair had not moved, thanks to Chris the hair stylist and a can of hairspray! I have used written my signature more times in the past few days, which means I have been paying for a few (okay, MANY) things associated with a wedding. And now, I sit here with my feet up, realizing that about 2 hours ago, I had planned on heading to bed early. Time flies!

So I will post a quick post before I go to bed. Tomorrow is my Sunday off, and I am so glad. While the past week has been a blur, I realize that this next week is already a little full to begin with! I am so thankful that God gives me the strength, as I could not do any of this without my Lord!

Yesterday was a day that we had planned for over the past few months... since our new son Michael proposed to our daughter while in Cuba on our family trip. Our daughter looked like a princess - and as she walked down the aisle on her dad's arm, I was overwhelmed with a sense of love and pride. As I watched my kids up on the platform, my heart was filled with such joy. However at the same time, was a great realizeation that our life has changed and our "normal" has changed... we will never look at life the same way. Josh, and Leah stood up for Mike and Ashley - it was a hard day, as we faced family and friends in the biggest and most concentrated form since our little Jay was born and passed away. There were times when I still just wanted to grab my now "4" kids and run away and keep them all safe. John (Mike's uncle) married them, and he mentioned how when you love greatly, you are loving with abandon and without caution.... and at the same time that great love puts you at risk of great sadness... and I realize that is "life"....

So we celebrated, and Josh and Leah welcomed Uncle Mikey to the family in a formal way. I am so proud of our little clan. I admire my children, all four of them, in many ways. They help me to grow, and understand, and challenge me - most likely without ever knowing. I just love being a mom - to TWO daughters and TWO sons!
And, I am praying that He is also going to continue to grow my "grandmother's heart" !

So, now I am just plain tired. But my heart is grateful that I have a husband who also loves me so much!! We have just celebrated 30 years!! The groom I saw yesterday (our new son Mike) was so much like Alvin 30 years ago.... smiling from ear to ear, and loving every moment. Unless the Lord builds the house, the builder labors in vain. It is my prayer for my kids that God continues to be the cornerstone of their lives as a couple today, tomorrow and in the yars to come.
God, may you be praised! I am one very, very happy woman!!

No comments: