Thursday, January 29

My Sister - my Friend


She was eleven when I was born
Yet somehow, it seems like there are no years between us when we get together
I look up to her, my big sister, my friend.
The one who was a surrogate mom to my kids.
The one who invited them over anytime they wanted to come.
The one who gave them treats - and let them get away with things
And she was the one who loved them unconditionally, listened to their stories, wiped their tears, and laughed at their antics.
My sister, Mary-Ann.
The oldest of us three girls. The oldest of five siblings.
One of the two gifts that I have in sisters.
This past week, Alvin and I spent with my sister and brother-in-law.
When we arrived, her husband teased her about sitting up all night waiting for us.
I saw in her face, and felt in her hug, that she was very glad to see us.
And I - I was so glad to see her, my sister, my friend.

We spent time together.
Sipping coffee, riding in the rental car, sitting on a patio chair.
We spent time together.
Getting a pedicure, and laughing at the massage chairs that were so relentless you could hardly feel relaxed.
Shopping - eating a good meal together.
We spent time together.
Meeting their friends - meeting their pastor at the Island Baptist Church - worshipping together with them
We spent time together.
Going to Mexico for the day - listening to a mariachi band - eating at Pier 19.
We spent time together.
Talking about family, and friends.
Sharing concerns. Her listening to me as I unloaded.
Giving me wisdom that only an older sister could give.
We spent time together.
Travelling for 6 hours to San Antonio.
Laughing as "lucy" our GPS gave us instructions.
Laughing so hard at things but also being very serious when necessary.
We spent time together.
Having a Dunkin Donuts coffee inside the airport, until it was time for us to board for our flight.
With a hug, and a kiss and a goodbye - we left.
My sister, my friend.
Thank you God.

Jesus, you have given me two sisters, and two brothers, for whom I am so thankful! You are so good to me. Thank you for their spouses whom I also love dearly.
I am also so glad that you have given Ashley a brother in Josh, and Josh a little sister in Ashley. But more than that, I thank you for Leah and for Michael, our kids through marriage. Together they make our family complete on this level. I am so thankful that our four kids are the best of friends for one another, and that they also can experience the bond of family, of siblings.
Thank you Lord.

No comments: