Wednesday, January 21

My Son


Today is my son's birthday. Somehow it hardly seems that long ago. I remember the day as if it was yesterday. The day that we got to meet the little active bundle that I had carried "incognito" for 9 months.

Today is my son's birthday. Somehow as I said Happy Birthday, I realized that this birthday held sorrow... it should have been different. But at the same time, I just had to say "happy" birthday, because the reality is, I am so glad and happy that he is my son and I believe that soon, there will be happiness again.

Today is my son's birthday. As I thought about his life, I realized that it hasn't been all easy. In fact there are a few times where it was incredibly hard. As I thought about his life, I couldn't help but count the blessings that God has bestowed upon him, and the gifts that God has given him, and the talent. I love to hear him laugh. I love how his eyes get teary before he tells us something funny. I love how he challenges me and pushes me out of comfort zones sometimes. I love how in the midst of the hard times, he still allows us to love him and come into his space and help to hold him up.

Today is my son's birthday. As I look at him and his life, I see how God has given him an amazing partner in Leah. I love how together they walk hand in hand, and how they look at life and choose to walk it together. I love how Leah completes him, and how together they looked forward to becoming parents, and how they love little Jay with all their hearts. I can imagine how they would have parented Jay and raised him.

Today is my son's birthday. I watched how he and his sister Ashley have an amazing bond, which extends to Leah, and also to Mike. I love how, when Ashley was growing up, Josh always had time for her, and always seemed to have his sister's best interest in mind. I also love how he got to know Michael and embraced him as Michael entered into our family.

Today is my son's birthday. Years ago, he made me a mom. Last July, with Jay's birth, he and Leah made me a Granny. My son is a gift to me... and it happened on this day. I thank God for my kids, and today, I honor my son - for his honesty, his love, his support, for his big hugs and the occassional kiss. I thank you God that years ago, you gave me a son first - a big brother for Ashley later, and you taught me alot about life through him.

Today is my son's birthday. At this point, the day is almost done. Birthday lunch has been had. Cake has been cut and eaten. It is the beginning of another year, and Lord, it is my prayer for my son, that soon, you give him again, the gift of hope. But God, you know that, as it is my prayer for many months now. Happy Birthday Son - my son, Joshua Gerald. I love you. Today, I say thank you - I honor you, my son, my friend.

No comments: