Monday, March 23

My Daughter


Today is my daughter's birthday.... roughly around the time we are considering what to make for supper, she will officially mark the end of one year, and the beginning of the next. And what a year it has been.

This morning as I spoke with her on the phone, and wished her a happy birthday, I was so glad to hear the gladness in her voice and most likely there was a twinkle in her beautiful blue eyes. She loves life.

As I sit here and think of the day she was born, it was a beautiful day, unlike the grey and wet day that it appears today will be. When we brought her home two days later, the snow had all melted, and it was a beautiful spring day. I remember that day. Going home with a new baby, and Josh was just turned three. I remember how excited he was to come to the hospital and hold his sister. I had packed some books, wrapped and given to him "to Josh, love Ashley". He was already so happy and proud of her.

I look at the years that my kids lived at home, and the way they got along. I am so proud of them. Sure they did the usual brotherly sisterly thing, but they always stood up for one another and Josh always seemed to have his eye out for her. They worked together on planning things for Alvin and I - like the time for our anniversary, they set up "dinner for two" for us in the living room - and served us, they were both dressed up in black, and it was very formal.

Today is my daughter's birthday. I look back on the time, and really wonder where it went. Her and I spent so much time travelling to choir rehearsals, and choir engagements. I did most of that driving. There were times when Josh would come with Alvin and I to her concerts, but usually it ended with a comment that there was just way too much singing!!

Today is my daughter's birthday. I stand back and look at her. She is truly beautiful. Beautiful on the outside! Beautiful on the inside! She loves life... loves people...loves singing.... just really embraces life fully. I love watching her and Michael, her husband of almost 6 months... and they laugh together, and seem to have found their soul mate in one another. I also love watching the four kids: Josh and Leah, Ashley and Michael together. There is a deep love and affection and also a great respect. I love that - I know I always wondered if who Ashley met and married would become a good friend to her brother.... and Michael is.

Today is my daughter's birthday. Since Josh and Leah are only arriving home late tonight from a short trip, we are celebrating as a family on Wednesday. So, I plan to have lunch with her. I will sit there, and no doubt have many thoughts. We will talk. I am so thankful that now, especially in these last years, she has become someone who is interested in how my heart is too... and we can talk about everything.
And, I have a birthday cake ready to take to her for the office coffee break. While I know she wants a "Grasshopper" cake for Wednesday, today I will take in our family traditional cake, tons of whipped cream, and coffee in the cake. And hopefully someone will sing, and tease her about getting older.

Today is my daughter's birthday. This last year has been the two extremes - extreme sadness with our little Jay's silent birth, and extreme happiness with Ashley and Michael getting married. It is my prayer that this year, God will bless Ashley with much joy, and no sorrow... at least none so deep. I am thankful that God has given Ashley so many gifts and talents. I am also so thankful that she uses them for his honor and glory. I am blessed by my daughter and truly, truly thankful that I am her mom.

Lord, you have given me the gifts in the form of my children. I thank you for them. I pray that you would continue to grow their passion and love for you Jesus. I also pray that you would bless Ashley's day in many many ways, and that she would truly feel loved, appreciated and valued. And Lord, that she will always know how precious and beautiful you have created her, and how much we love her the way she is.
Amen.

2 comments:

ashleymarie said...

i'm very glad to be your daughter.

Joy Thomas Klassen said...

I am so glad you ARE my daughter.... no doubting that one. The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree baby!!
I'll love you for ever
I'll love you for always
As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.
love mom