Wednesday, August 17

neTTLes

                                                       hugenettles.jpg

Today I began my day with Isaiah 55: 10 - 13 and it seemed like I was reading the Word with new eyes.  Here is the Scripture in two versions:  The Message and also New Living Bible.  I like to often read it in The Message because Eugene Peterson just seems to bring it to everyday language.  







Isaiah 55:10-13

The Message (MSG)

 8-11"I don't think the way you think.
   The way you work isn't the way I work."
         God's Decree.
"For as the sky soars high above earth,
   so the way I work surpasses the way you work,
   and the way I think is beyond the way you think.
Just as rain and snow descend from the skies
   and don't go back until they've watered the earth,
Doing their work of making things grow and blossom,
   producing seed for farmers and food for the hungry,
So will the words that come out of my mouth
   not come back empty-handed.
They'll do the work I sent them to do,
   they'll complete the assignment I gave them.
 12-13"So you'll go out in joy,
   you'll be led into a whole and complete life.
The mountains and hills will lead the parade,
   bursting with song.
All the trees of the forest will join the procession,
   exuberant with applause.
No more thistles, but giant sequoias,
   no more thornbushes, but stately pines—
Monuments to me, to God,
   living and lasting evidence of God."

Isaiah 55:10-13

New Living Translation (NLT)
 10 “The rain and snow come down from the heavens
      and stay on the ground to water the earth.
   They cause the grain to grow,
      producing seed for the farmer
      and bread for the hungry.
 
11 It is the same with my word.
      I send it out, and it always produces fruit.
   It will accomplish all I want it to,
      and it will prosper everywhere I send it.
 
12 You will live in joy and peace.
      The mountains and hills will burst into song,
      and the trees of the field will clap their hands!
 
13 Where once there were thorns, cypress trees will grow.
      Where nettles grew, myrtles will sprout up.
   These events will bring great honor to the L
ord’s name;
      they will be an everlasting sign of his power and love.”



I know for sure I have read this.  I also know that a couple years ago, my dear friend Phoebe sent a "word" for me, along with a flower - and on the paper were the words from verse 12 about the mountains and hills will burst into song and the trees will clap their hands!  I remember at the time, that it was a word of encouragement.

The thing that struck me today however - was verse 13 that talks about trees growing where thistles and nettles grew.  Have you ever been "stung" by nettles?  You will know if you have.  As a little girl I remember getting stung and it hurts.  So much that to this day - I do not want to brush by any if I see them!  

And then the Word says - that "these events will bring great honor to the Lord's name; they will be an everlasting sign of his power and love!"  THERE came my "aha" moment.  A moment that was filled with the thoughts of all the "thistles, thorns, and nettle stinging moments" in my life.  AND YET out of all that - things will grow AND FLOURISH and God's name will be praised!  Really, that is what my life needs to be about.  As much as I get caught up in my "woe is me" moments ~ my life is all about HIM!  All about my Lord!

It seems that as I walk through life - many things do sting.  Many things become thorns in our flesh that we just seem to not be able to remove.  There are also so many things in life that are like those nettles I walked into as a little girl - they looked pretty but felt terrible when touched.  Life - is fragile.  Life - is for the most part "unseen" as far as what the future holds.  I am so glad that in looking backward, that is when we get the whole picture and see the journey that we have walked, and the parts where God has carried us through.  

The other day I was reminded of the goodness of the Lord Jesus Christ through a song by Chris Tomlin.  I love the words - and perhaps they will also speak into your soul and bring peace, comfort and a healing balm to the "sting of any nettles" that you may have encountered lately!  





if you are also reading "the journey"  I have also posted on zephaniah3verse17.blogspot.com

1 comment:

ashleymarie said...

that scripture made me think of WRATW and the building of the land. where the land just sat, filled with weeds and wild grasses etc, now something is coming to life, and it will be used to honor God!