Sunday, September 30

thankful for my "above average Joe"

The other day - I saw something in the paper, actually it was the "free" paper - the Metro - that we get pretty much everywhere.  It can be found at my workplace, at the bus stops, at Subway Restaurants, in the malls ... pretty much all over the place.  And it is free!  (not much is free anymore).  Anyhow - the other day, as I was eating lunch at work, I came across an article in the Metro, and it was titled "above average Joe" and at the end of the article, Kerri Salki (who is part of the Joe Show with Kerri and Bubba on 102.3 ClearFM from 5:30 am to 9 am) says "Just because they're not famous doesn't mean they're not a somebody.  If you know an Above Average Joe that you think needs recognition email me at ...

SO I did.  YES, I was the one who suggested that my sweet man, was an "above average Joe" and YES I am pretty proud of him!  So, the long and the short of it - she emailed me some questions that Alvin needed to answer.  I typed his answers (since I do type a little faster than him, although he tells me that now, when he does his two fingered report writing on the computer, he is pretty fast, and sometimes crosses over with his two fingers onto other keys!! )  

Last Thursday, there it was in the Metro - the story about my sweet Man.  The title was "Firefighter Builds Homes, Relationships".  I was not sure how he was going to react to being "recognized" but seeing as how there was nothing embarassing in there - he was actually quite okay with it.

You see ... I just thought that it WAS time that somehow I recognized this man, who has been a gift to me for the last 38 years that we have been in love (38 when we met, and 34 since we married!)  At this point in our journey, my above average Joe (Alvin) is one tired guy.  We are trying to figure out how to get a rhythm that includes REST in it.  I think he actually only knows two speeds (much like his mom and dad) and I tease him that as soon as his feet go up (in the lazy boy chair) his eyelids close!  

This weekend we did take some time (after planting some trees) to just hang out and do some impromptu time with friends (whom we are so thankful for!).  We walked in Bird's Hill park with Kim and Kevin and then had a great supper at Pineridge Hollow.  
On Saturday we had a great supper with Willy and Betty and then cruised in the convertibles through Birds Hill Park again, and ended off with a drive to have coffee in Selkirk.  Today we got to visit with friends within our church community at Eastview Community Church, and then had TWO impromptu visits back to back with Sue and Graeme, and then John and Toni.  (Just love the fact that our friends actually take us up when we say, "If you are every driving by, just drop in!")  We ended off just a little while ago with an impromptu supper with our "adopted" son Mike F and his son Marcus who were here with Alvin, planting some seed in the back. (Mike is not really adopted by us - I just keep teasing him that I am going to adopt him as my son!) 

I am just sitting here now - with dishes done (mostly) and thinking about my visit with Mr. Pillow shortly, and I am just so so SO thankful for the life we have - for my faith in Jesus Christ - for my family - for my friends and especially for my above average Joe - Alvin.
This has been a real good weekend - and I am thankful.  Just a few pics to share of the weekend!  Now this girl is heading off to bed.  Night.  Tomorrow is another new day!

a picture I took of the article

yep, that's my guy

not just cousins to me, but FRIENDS ... love these 2

just realize it was quite the look I was sporting that day - with my runners!
me and my sweet man!

one more beautiful prairie sunset!

and the moon...



gotta love this guy!


No comments: