Monday, May 25

Announcement of Resignation

Yesterday I announcement my resignation to my church family. For those of you who follow my blog, and perhaps were not at church, I thought I would share what I said, with you here.

Philemon vs 4: I always thank my God when I pray for you, because I keep hearing about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all of God's people. And I am praying that you will put into action the generosity that comes from your faith as you understand and experience all the good things we have in Christ. Your love has given me much joy and comfort...

"Seven years ago, I accepted an interim job as Ministry Director. After two years in an interim position, you, my church family, called me into Ministry permanently. (Pastor of Church Ministry) You took a chance on me - a woman without any degree, only life experience.

John Neufeld told me, when he handed over the reigns, "Joy you are already miles ahead, because this is the congregation you have been a part of for so many years." And that is the reality. Alvin and I and our kids have been raised by this congregation in a sense, having been part of this family for 31 years.

When you called me into ministry - I was a little worried. I knew that some of you wondered what I would have to offer those who sit in the pew with more education than myself. Very aware of that, I also knew that life experience had taught me many thing's, and I knew God had given me gifts that I could bring to my ministry here at McIvor.

From the beginning it was my desire to be used by God. I will agree that some of the areas I have worked in were perhaps not areas of my strengths but then again areas such as prayer and pastoral care resonated with my heart. The job description was and is huge but I was willing to learn and to serve and desired to do that with all my heart. I believe God has given the opportunity and the strength to do the best that I could. My husband and kids have supported me. Alvin and I came as a package deal!

Oer the past seven years I have worked with 3 worship leaders, 4 youth pastors, 2 senior pastors and 3 difference council executives. I have also been blessed by those who serve in volunteer capacity here. I have learned more than you will ever know. I have had the opportunity to speak into your lives, as you have also spoke into mine. McIvor, with all its ups and downs, has been a place of blessing and joy in ministry. I truly have been changed.

The call into ministry here was so strong. Never before had I ever experienced that - honestly not even in the 25 year career I had left prior to being called into ministry here. I always felt and also said that God had called me here for some reason and for a season - and I prayed that whenever the time came, that He would call me out just as strongly when the time came, as He had called me in.

It appears that God has done just that. The story is much longer, and the amazing grace and faithfulness of God is woven through it - and I would love to share the bigger story with you over a cup of coffee some day.

The bottom line is that God has confirmed to myself and also Alvin, that this is the time. On Tuesday I spoke with Executive and submitted my letter of resignation. Alvin and I don't know what God will hold for us - we have no reason to think we won't be here worshiping in the pews at McIvor but at the same time we are trusting God with all the next steps. (and that may include change) You have to know that I like to "play it safe ~ with my ducks all in a row" but right now I have no idea where the ducks are, let alone if they are in a row! But God knows. We are scared and also feel sadness (at resigning) but trusting Him for the next steps.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity and chance to serve you over the past seven years. My desire is to bless you, as I in turn pray that you can bless me as I follow God in this way. '

10 comments:

Kara said...

Blessings to you as you discover what lies ahead for you and your family.

Ellen said...

Thanks for posting this Joy. It showcases your deep desire to follow Christ as he leads you. May you always feel a strong sense of his leading!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Beautiful!
Resignation letter format