Thursday, January 2

so, I am thinking of writing a story :)

"Fear isn't only a guide to keep us safe; it’s also a manipulative emotion that can trick us into living a boring life … the great stories go to those who don’t give in to fear.” 
― Donald MillerA Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life


I have been thinking lately about what makes a story.
But more than that, what makes a story something you actually would want to read.
What makes a story great?
Perhaps I am thinking even more about this, since I am reading a new book my son gave to us by Donald Miller.  (same book as the above quote is taken from)

Reality is, I have been thinking of writing my story. BUT ~  That is not a new thought, but one that began with the death of my mom.  I wrote quite a few pages, and then put it down.  With the death of my dad a year and a bit later, I picked up my pen again, and began to write some more.  My mom passed away in 1996 and my dad in 1997 so you see, writing my story has been on my mind a lot!

I have no idea who would read my story, but I feel that it is one that I want to put down in print.  Perhaps for the sake of my kids, or mores for my grandkids.
I think part of my desire to do so, comes from wishing I knew more about my heritage.
My dad began writing his story a short time before he passed away.  I have those chapters that were edited.  I heard my dad was not impressed with his editor.  I am thinking that perhaps my dad's style of writing needed some work.  Kind of like mine.  I know that I put too many dashes into my writing.  And I also put too many dots ....
And sometimes I don't even have a proper sentence structure.  One person who just lately proofed something for me said that she didn't want to proof too much, otherwise it wouldn't "sound" like me any more.  Funny hey.

So I want to write my story.  I have even thought of a title, something to the effect of "Just an ordinary Girl"  I feel ordinary.  And then I feel extraordinary for Jesus.  Not an either or.  Just the joint reality of who I think I was and am.  I have likely totally confused you.

A story.  We all have a story.
So, how to we tell it?
Year by year
Experience by experience
Moment by moment
Encounter by encounter
Teachable moments
Hard moments
Joyful moments
Moments of fear, and risk.  (that would be a huge part of my story)

What makes up a story? And why would I think I have something that is worth writing down for someone else to read?

Personally, I know my story is one that begins with someone very ordinary (Me) born into an ordinary and very loving family, grows up to be an ordinary teenager (whose most rebellious thing was to smoke a couple Players cigarettes while I was in grade 8).  And this ordinary girl fell in love with an ordinary but very exceptional guy (my husband) and got married and had ordinary (okay, scratch that one!!) NOTHING ORDINARY about my kids :) ... and it just gets better with my grandchildren!!

Thing is - while I think I am just an ordinary girl, I see how God's hand on my life, has made me extraordinary and beautiful and He has written a story of my life that only God could have written.  Somehow I just want to capture a bit of that on paper!! SO that is one of my goals for this year.  To write my story.  Complete with dashes.  Complete with dots.  Complete with unstructured sentences perhaps.  But it will be my story.  And maybe no one except my kids will read it.  I am okay with that.  All I know is that it is begging to be told, and well, I know that when God does something - the glory is all his.  So Lord, I am thanking you in advance for whatever you do with my story - whether I give it verbally in a Sunday School presentations, or Ladies Group talk or whether it is my story told over a cup of coffee in my favorite coffee shop.  Wherever - God - I give you my words, my story - which you have written - and I ask you to use it - each word, each sentence, each page, each chapter - for your honor and glory Lord.  All. For. You.

Just today's thoughts, from one ordinary woman!

No comments: