Saturday, June 1

Learning to be a Martha - while being a Mary at heart!

I have been thinking alot lately, about Mary and her sister Martha.  Mary LOVED to sit at the feet of Jesus!  Martha spent her time in the kitchen - preparing the meal she would serve Jesus.  Martha struggled with Mary's neglect of helping her out in the kitchen.  Jesus gave Martha an answer, which perhaps sounded stern, but there is something very important in that answer.

I will admit that I love being a "Mary".  I love sitting at the feet of Jesus, so to speak.  I love the Word of God.  I love journalling about what I am thinking and learning and praying.  I am a contemplative person.  I refuel by being by myself (which is proving to be interesting being that I am the director of a ministry where on any given day, I could potentially have a house full of women!)

As I write this, the women who are here for their weekend retreat - have just finished their second session and are fellowshipping around the table over lunch.  I laughed when someone asked if I love cooking?  Does anyone love cooking when they are in their fifties.  At this age, we have literally cooked more meals than we care to remember!  So ... cooking?  Well, you see, that is where God is literally stretching me - and my cooking and everything else "kitchen" related, and making me into a "Martha" and me, I am so aware of the process, that it makes me smile.

Don't get me wrong - I think I am a good cook (at least that is what my kids friends have told me as they ate around our table).  I have learned how to cook without recipes, although when having a group, I do stick mostly to recipes. I have learned from the best (my mom) and well ... I think I learned alot from her - about being a Martha and a Mary.  I just realized as I typed that, my mom taught we way way WAY more than she ever knew she was teaching me!  My mom, had such a Mary heart - I often caught her having her QT with the Lord - head bowed, bible open.  My Mom was also the most amazing hostess.  Every Sunday she had me set the table for guests - who, we were never sure.  And she was the most amazing cook of Yorkshire puddings, roast beef and all the trimmings.  SO I learned alot from my mom, who was one of the most godly women I have ever in my life known.  (Thank you Lord for my mom!!)  So back to the cooking aspect of ministry.  The truth?  I can hardly wait till we are going strong, and we can actually hire someone to help me here so that I do not have to do the cooking, or all of it, and that I can spend time just caring for/talking with/hosting the women that come.  That is my hope ... and I think it will be a reality but in God's time.  In the meantime, He will continue to grow me and stretch me into a Martha to integrate with the Mary that He created me to be!!  All I can say is - thank you Lord - for your work in my life!!  I am here - hands open - do your will in me Lord.

Anyhow here is the scripture that I was thinking of today:


Luke 10:38-42

New International Version (NIV)

At the Home of Martha and Mary

38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worriedand upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”


No comments: