Saturday, September 26

Happy Anniversary Ashley and Michael!



It has been one year - since Ashley and Michael got married - and sometimes I wonder just exactly where the time went! 1 Year! I love the pictures that are posted - one of Ashley on her way down the path to where Michael was waiting. Josh and Leah saw each other on this same path too, so on Ashley's wedding it was history repeating itself. The other picture of the kids - Ashley on the swing. This was just so typical her - in our yard. I wish I could post all the beautiful pictures that Patty took!
This morning, as I got out of bed at 7:20 am (cause we had work to finish) I couldn't help but think to a year ago today. The day that the planning and preparation all came together in one joyous celebration! This past year has been quite the year for all of us - and on top of it, full of surprise, and settling in, for Michael and Ashley. Ash had lived "on her own" since 2003 (apart from a few stints back and forth inbetween School of Discipleship/living with Hudson's and then living on her own in the Mulvey House). It was 5 years of learning how to take care of a home - how to collect rent - how to buy groceries - how to clean up your own mess, and sometimes the messes of others. It was 5 years of paying bills, juggling home ownership with working and going to university. I was thinking of the Mulvey house as I passed by the street the other day. I think those were pretty fun years. Now for Micheal - his experience has been totally like Alvin and mine - we went straight from dangling our legs under our parents dining room tables - to getting married and moving out. Pretty much a steep learning curve in some aspects. There was no "3 month probation"... you just jumped in with two feet and did it! I think Micheal is doing just fine!!

Celebrating their first anniversary takes me back to our first one - and for the life of me, I can't remember what we did - but it was likely lots of fun. Funny how that memory just does not stick with me - I remember what I got... somehow, if my memory does serve me correctly, now that I think of it - we celebrated at my sister and brother-in-law's cottage. We went out there with our friends Al and Jan who were not married. And, that's right - I believe that Jan and I slept together, and Al and Alvin slept together (again, that was because Al and Jan were just dating). We did chuckle about that come to think of it!

This year we celebrated 31 years. Wow - where does time go?

This past year we have watched Ash and Michael make decisions, and wrestle with the fun things that come with learning how to live as husband and wife! I would say that they are figuring it out as it comes, and as parents - we are there to love, to help, to support, to give wisdom when asked. It has been a good year. At least I think it has.

Ash and Michael have gone through the first exciting year of their lives together but it has not been without working through the deep grief of losing Jay. It was such an extreme - their wedding was such extreme joy - at a time when we were also walking in such deep sorrow. Strange how both extremes can co-exist.

So a year later - they are more seasoned in their love for one another - they are more seasoned as a married couple - and no doubt looking ahead to the rest of life together.

Ashley and Michael - I will always remember your wedding day - a mom doesn't forget the days that her children get married on. It is my prayer for you, that you will experience as much joy, laughter, love as Dad and I have. Always keep laughter as part of your relationship - it is amazing what that will get you through. Remember that we are always here for you... always.

We love you - more than you know. Happy Anniversary kids.
love mom and dad

posted by Mom - Saturday, September 26, 2009 at 3:15 pm

1 comment:

ashleymarie said...

thanks mom for posting this about us!

we love you very much and are so thankful for all your love and support.

i think we're going to celebrate our anniversary a different day, as this one has been full and mike is still sick.

you and dad have always been such a good example to me, and now to michael as well. i sure do love married life, and love how michael is part of our family.

i'm also so glad we had pictures at your place. i will always be thankful for those.

it is also strange for me to think back to how deep the grief was at that time, and how it is still so deep. i'm glad we have our family and faith, and love and laughter.

love you very much!