(there are no "rewards" or "points" program, but the joy of being in a faith community -
it is priceless! These are the "rewards" as I see them:
- love the family of God that meets to worship together. Sometimes when we are singing, I stand with my eyes closed and take in the sound. Thinking that Heaven will sound even better.
- There is strength in number! I do not need a community to be a Christ follower HOWEVER when you are part of a larger body, there is support, love, and strength that we can get from one another
- It is a place to make good friendships. I am loving the friends we have met so far at Eastview and look forward to making more
- It is a place where I can go and feel like I belong. You know the old "CHEERS" mentality - where "everybody knows your name". Well, since we are newbies at Eastview - all of a sudden we find that we really know very few however, it already feels like home to us. We walk through the doors and feel peace and acceptance and unconditional love. There is NOTHING like "unconditional" love let me tell you. We all want to belong somewhere.
- I choose to be a member of a local faith community - because it is here that I can grow in my faith through authentic grace-filled teaching. God is using our pastors to pour through to us in the pews. I am so thankful for them and marvel at how we have already been so blessed.
- I believe that we need one another! Take a look at the coals in a bonfire next time you have one. See how they glow - and burn "white" with heat. Now, take one coal and pull it away from the others. Yes, it glows for a while, but then it changes, and eventually grows cold. I think this is a good example of us, and how when we are together with other believers, we "glow" but when we move out of fellowship, we grow cold. We need to spur one another on - this is my prayer. This is another reason why I have chosen to become a part of our local church.
- I am a member because I believe that together we can do more for Jesus than one person can do alone. When I was in ministry, we used the word TEAM and it was short for "Together Everyone Accomplishes More. There is strength and power in numbers.
- being part of a faith community helps with accountability. Let's face it - we all need accountability.
- there are more reasons, but these are just a few. I am thankful that I am a part of a bigger family. Scripture tells us tat where to two or three gather, He is in our midst. That is reason enough for me!
A Pilgrim Song of David1-2 When they said, "Let's go to the house of God," my heart leaped for joy.
And now we're here, O Jerusalem,
inside Jerusalem's walls!
3-5 Jerusalem, well-built city,
built as a place for worship!
The city to which the tribes ascend,
all God's tribes go up to worship,
To give thanks to the name of God—
this is what it means to be Israel.
Thrones for righteous judgment
are set there, famous David-thrones.
6-9 Pray for Jerusalem's peace!
Prosperity to all you Jerusalem-lovers!
Friendly insiders, get along!
Hostile outsiders, keep your distance!
For the sake of my family and friends,
I say it again: live in peace!
For the sake of the house of our God, God,
I'll do my very best for you.