Sunday, December 21

He's at it again!

Okay, time for a posting that is not real deep. It is late. I have already spent too much time sitting on the couch. I am in pain today, but somehow I don't think sitting around actually helps. Not sure if it is my fibromyalgia acting up, or what. All I know is everything is in pain...from my neck down to my feet. From my neck down to my hands... pain. It is as if the physical pain is catching up with the invisible emotional/mental pain. I should have exercised today. But I didn't. There are alot of things that I should have done, and they are still undone now, at 12:04 am....

But as I sit here, I can not help but watch the neighbor do his late night thing. He is pulling ueys (spelling??) with his little 4 wheeler with a blade on it. I am sure that he is not clearing snow. I am also thinking he likely is under the influence of something more than just a cup of coffee. He does weird things at weird hours. Somehow I always think we should expect more from a man with three children. Life was much different when my sister and brother-in-law lived there.

It is always interesting to see how long the craziness lasts... so far its been about 20 minutes. Thing is you can hear him too. It's not just a silent joy ride. And I am thinking the neighbors across from me can see his lights as well. And what about his wife and kids... or maybe he really doesn't care. Obviously he doesn't care about us either, but then, he made that obvious shortly after he moved in about 4 years ago.

Then, on the other side of us, through the bush a little, is the house that Alvin built for his dad... or helped to build. The other day I baked brownies and decided to go over and meet the new neighbors. It is the same scenario as next door, the house is occupied by the second set of owners since the first sale. Well, Alvin said he would go with me, and I am sure glad he did. That neighbor was loaded as well - offered us a beer which we declined. He was rather insistent about it. When we went, the house was just rattling - the music inside was so loud. Dogs were barking and he opened the door a crack to tell us he had to put away his two mean dogs and would be right there. Ok, really? I felt like taking my brownies and hopping in our truck. But no, we waited, and gave him the benefit of our doubt. So, the door opened. Dogs were sequestered to the garage. We came in, and thus began about a half hour of the most uncomfortable visit. We stayed standing, only because we really just wanted to leave.

He was drunk, and boisterous, and had a gun laying on the island in the kitchen, pointing straight at us. Apparently he had been out hunting, although got nothing. ok, rather a scary thought, a drunk with a gun. Then for whatever reason, he says, "I have to let the dogs in" and he goes and lets in two of the ugliest scariest dogs that I have ever seen. Umhum, I was scared. This intimidation tactic was working well for this old girl! In my head I was thinking that I was going to get bit! I was also thinking that I was so glad that Alvin came with me, and I was also wondering why I had wanted to do this.

Anyhow, after turning down a few brew, and making some uncomfortable smalltalk, and hearing some of the worst fowl language I have heard ever - we said we would have to go. Within that time period I heard so much bragging about what he had! I was so glad when we got in the truck, and ok, I know it is not very christianly, but I vowed I would never be back there again. I was just totally creeped out.

So, what am I trying to say? (yes, neighbor number one is still doing his thing outside on his four wheeler)...
I have realized that after living here for 25 years - it has changed. Everything has changed in our life - even our neighbors! Sometimes I think it will be easy to move - but then again, this old house is where we raised our kids. This old house is where we laugh till our sides hurt. This old house has entertained so many friends. This old house has heard alot of stories. This old house has also heard alot of weeping over the years - and especially of late. We are talking about moving from this old house, Lord-willing, be putting the house up for sale in the summer. Or at least that is what we think right now. The other day Leah said that she thought I would cry alot when I leave this house. I think she is right. In fact, sometimes I wonder why we would even consider it. The reason: family. Being a little closer to the city, would mean we would be a little closer to our kids, and as God grants, to our future grandchildren. This old house has been kind to us. It is the house that Alvin built. This really has been a part of our life - 25 out of 30 years of married life. Thank goodness that our neighbors (Mr. Spin Ueys and Mr. Hunt and Brag) are recent additions to the neighborhood.

God, give me grace!
Jesus said, Love the Lord your God with all your heart and soul and love your neighbor as yourself. Jesus.... show me how because right now, I am not sure how to even relate to these guys. Give me grace. Please Jesus.

No comments: