Tuesday, December 16

A Gift in disguise!


The day is almost done. It has been an okay day. Actually, I have had a couple gifts today, in the way of friends! It is interesting how that happens... yes, they were God ordained moments for sure!

Friend no. 1 came in through our door right at about lunch time, or slightly before. He is a friend that I have gotten to know over the past 6.5 years as a pastor. He lives on the street. Literally. No joking. This morning Alvin and I talked about this friend, his name is Barry. As I crawled back into bed, snuggled up to Alvin, I said I just couldn't imagine... to me, being in bed under warm duvet covers, is one of the most wonderful feelings... and yet, many people, one of whom is very very close to me, literally are living on the street. No pillow - no warm duvet - nothing to call their own. A cot in a mission if they are lucky enough to get in.

My friend Barry was in on Sunday, along with two other friends also off the street. They came in to the church, in between services, basically to warm up. We gave them some food to eat, and I boiled the kettle. All they wanted was a couple bus tickets. When Barry comes through the door of the church, it is like the parting of the Red Sea! I guess I understand in a way, because when you live on the street, you don't look so good after a while of no bathing, or no change of clothes. Sometimes you can smell my friend before you even see him! And, I get it, really, it is hard to know what to do with Barry. The Bible talks about us "entertaining angels unaware" and I think that perhaps Barry is one of these! But something inside of me, I can't explain it other than God, but there is a special place in my heart for Barry. Every time I see him, which is about 3 x a week, I wonder how much longer he will be around. This weather, I can't imagine what toll it takes on a person. He walks with a limp. He laughed when I told him one time that he must have nine lives.

Today when Barry came in, I was busy setting up for a meeting I was hosting, so I couldn't sit and talk. Toni our office admin today, she warmed up a can of chili that we keep especially for him. He snacked on a few treats that were brought in from one of our church women. I bought him a couple chicken pieces which he put into his backpack. Barry is not running around getting ready for Christmas. Barry really lives on faith - faith that someone will be kind to him. He was one of those God ordained gifts today.

My second friend was here for the meeting. The meeting that no one else could attend... but I look back at that and think that again God knew that I needed that hour and a half just to talk. We talked about Jay, about grief, about my leave that is coming up. We talked... and I felt like someone was really understanding me. She lost her first husband twenty years ago, she also just had a new grandbaby. She recognized many things as I talked, and she breathed hope into my dry and weary soul! She left after our time together, and gave me a hug. Lord, thank you for my friend Cheryl.

Before friend number 2 was gone, friend number 3 came into the church, and came over to talk. She was just done work, and was just coming to get my keys. Her intent she said, was to go get a tree and set it up for me at home. (I must have shared my lack of Christmas joy with her?) Well, I was able to tell her that I had a tree now, and it was decorated. And that perhaps a coffee together would be a great thing to do...soon. This friend is an old friend, and a dear one. She has been there for me, and knows loss of her own kind as well. In fact, as an outsider looking in, I saw how going through some of that loss and trials, made her an amazing woman of strength and compassion. And then, just like that, she left...
Judy, my friend, was another God ordained visit.

I realize that friends bring sunshine into our lives at unexpected times. Gifts!
This morning, as I returned to my office, my daughter had left something on my computer screen... a card. "Just sending a little sunshine your way" it said on the inside! Another gift, as I read it (and cried) and realized that if I didn't have my family, and my friends - I would be even a bigger mess!

Hmmm.... I feel God is absent, yet, I saw God through moments today. Through the thoughts from my daughter, through the hug from my husband, through Barry, and Cheryl and Judy. I know God shone through them. So God.... can I see your face soon too?

No comments: