Monday, February 2

Getting up early.... for two things: QT with my God, and exercise!

The best time to start was last year. The second best time is right now."
--Seth Godin, business guru and author of The Dip.

I have been struggling with something that I see as important. As part of my leave, which I "officially" began yesterday, Feb. 1 - there are for sure two things that I want to do.
1) make an appointment with God in the early portion of my day, that is non-negotiable. In other words, that nothing will detour my time with God, or bump it, or anything. I have an easy time spending quiet time with God... because I love spending time with Him. However sometimes I fit it in at the end of the day, and really, I feel that I want to give him the firstfruit of my day. I want to do this NOT so that I become legalistic, or that I can "check" it off the "things to do" list - but rather that I can get my fuel from God for my day and all that it holds.

2) exercise! Okay, most people that know me well, know that exercise is something that I like the idea of, but find it hard to do. Last year I got to running 30 minutes straight. For me that was HUGE! Then, I stopped. Not sure why, but I did. I also go to CURVES but that is hard when I am not in the city daily anymore... I also like to walk, and my husband has made a beautiful cleared walking path in our "back 40"... and I like to do my "dance pad" to praise songs (which I did today).... I like the idea, but find it hard to stay committed to anything. I also find that if I do this first thing in the morning, I am a happy camper! It's like "whew, got that done, now I can relax and enjoy!" Plus doing exercise first thing really gives me energy.

I think the quote on the top of the page is good.... I can not do anything about the past, but I can do something now... I have likely talked about this on my blog before... and my kids, well, they know my thoughts. I have shared with God that I think He is impressing on me the need to get up early and just do it! He even wakes me up, but I have refused to get out of bed. Gotta figure that out! I hate "quenching the Spirit" - it is just hard to get out of bed when it is so hard to sleep during the night!

So, that is my predicament. I am not an early person, but I want to be. So this will be my prayer, that with God's strength and energy, I can get up when He wakes me up, and that I can meet with Him, and spend time in exercise too, and get on with my day. I feel that this is important to me while I am on leave, and learning to be. I feel that this is part of the process. And now, that I have written it down on this blog, I realize that someone just may ask me how it is going....

There is a verse in scripture, I forget where, but it says, "with God's strength I can scale a wall.." I figure with God's strength, I can do this. I feel it is about surrender, about laying down of self. May God be my strength.

4 comments:

Jean said...

Here is another verse that has been much on my mind for the last week - it goes along with the one I quoted on a comment on your blog last week.

"Ye have compassed this mountain long enough: turn you northward." Duet. 2:3

To me God is saying "Get going".

Joy Thomas Klassen said...

Hey Jean... thanks for sharing that with me, and for sharing in the past. I appreciate your wisdom. sending love your way.
joy

Anonymous said...

Seth Godin is Awesome but man is Jesus so much better!

Anonymous said...

OK Joy,

How IS it going with getting up early and your QT and Exercising? I totally understand the not wanting to get up even though God is actually doing the waking! Problem for me too is that recently I've been up at night for a couple of hours at a time so then I think I need to sleep in the morning....

Jeannette