Sunday, August 23

The countdown to the next chapter of life!

So today is Sunday - I came in very early - VERY EARLY like I usually do when I come in and drop Alvin off at the firehall. Then come to work, armed with a huge cup of Mountain Bean medium blend coffee. Ummm. It tastes like a real treat when I use cream once in a while, but for the past almost two weeks - my naturapath has me on a no sugar - no dairy - no white flour way of eating. (Yep you got it - no cinnamon buns to go with my coffee!) And, almost two weeks into it - I am feeling wonderful (and weight loss is inevitable when you take sugar and flour out) - and my mental fog is gone - it seems like I can think clearer. BUT MAN IS IT HARD!! Especially breakfast. ANYHOW - here I am at my desk - two hours before I have to be there - and with one hour gone, I figure I have time to write on my blog.

The countdown is on. I work today (Sunday) and then Monday to Thursday, and then next Sunday, and only one day left - Thursday, Sept 3 because I have planned a community parking lot party! So technically I have 7 days of work left. Yesterday someone asked me if I was sad. There is sadness for sure - let's face it, I LOVED ministry at McIvor - loved the people. But there has been hard stuff too - and as I have blogged before - the past 3.5 months have been way harder than I would have ever thought they would be. Guess I was naive.

I know however that there are no doubts, and no regrets to my decision. I also know, without a shadow of a doubt that it is a God thing! There is no arguing with God when he says something - and the reality is - the time to be done is NOW.
It is interesting how God works. Before I gave my notice - I was scheduled in for preaching the last Thursday/Sunday of August. And, the theme - Elijah and the Gentle Voice/Whisper of God. I have to say, I love how God works - as I totally get his whisper!! But, how do I speak on my last day - and what are the words He wants me to speak? I just want to bless people - my family in this local church.
So Wednesday - I sat down to write and by noon, I was done, only have some clean up of wording to do. Is this not totally God? Usually I struggle over sermons - but this one - when I sat down, came together like that. Thank you Lord!

So, today I will sing on the worship team, and then Monday to Thursday I will work at emptying out the office - cleaning up my computer files, etc... oh, and connecting with people through coffee times. Then Thursday I will speak for the first time, and then Sunday. If you are reading this - please pray for me - that I can speak without getting emotional i.e. crying. Tears are such a constant companion in my life - and they are okay but not when you are needing to deliver a sermon!

Well - need to run and practice. I just said good bye to my street friend Barry.
I wonder if I will ever see him again. He literally lives on the street. When I told him I would be done - he shook my hand, and wished me the best. The look in his eyes however, almost made me cry. Barry has become my friend. Barry - sometimes you can hardly stand the smell, but he has a special place in my heart. God has shown me alot through this man. Barry is one of "the least of these" that Jesus refers to. I wonder if I will see him again, or if one day I will hear that he has died. He jokes about having nine lives, like a cat - and today we talked about his nine lives almost coming to an end. He walks with a limp - and several times both Alvin and also my son Josh, have responded to Barry, laying on a Street.
I will never forget the time he recited the verse "Create in me a clean heart O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me." I almost wept. Or the time we prayed together - at the Holy Spirit's nudging. I saw him through the eyes of Jesus that day. O Lord, bless my friend Barry - I know his heart is tender for you.
I believe that although he is ravaged by addiction - that he loves Jesus.

This is the 1st day of my last week - Lord, go before me - and allow me to speak and touch lives for your honor and glory! My God and my King - to you be all the honor and praise and glory - today, tomorrow and forever more. Amen.

1 comment:

Jeannette said...

My dear friend Joy! Today I spent nearly two hours reading "our" daughter's blog. I was so far behind. I'm also reading yours. May God bless you with a good last week, full of his love and care for you, full of true friends, and full of hope for the future.
With love,
Jeannette