Thursday, December 24

For the Mighty Lord has done great things for me..

The other day, as I was driving, I heard Steve Bell singing a song... it was the song based on Mary's prayer or "song" (aka Mary's Magnificat) from Luke 1: 46 - 55

The first 5 verses especially just fill my soul with praise - and the song that Steve sang was based on these words - and of course, you know me ~ I wept when I heard it.

I love these verses:
And Mary said: "My soul glorifies the Lord
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
for the Mighty One has done great things for me -
Holy is his name.
His mercy extends to those who fear him,
from generation to generation."


Today I have been rejoicing...actually I have been rejoicing since last Friday. Rejoicing AGAIN.
There were times when we wondered when "joy would come in the morning" ~ and it did. We have felt joy again. I just finished holding my little grandson Everett John. He is with his mommy now, as it was time for a feeding. As I held him tonight - my heart rejoiced. The Mighty One has done great things for us again. O Lord, thank you. Let me never take you, or the gifts you give to me for granted.

As were are just a short time away from Christmas day (not sure, an hour or two?) my thoughts go to the account of the birth of Jesus. A baby born in a stable because there was no room in the inn. No first class accommodations. The other day my son was so upset because no one would give Leah a seat to sit down and eat (in a food area). But think of it - no one gave up their room for Mary to have the son of God!

And then - Luke 2 -it says that while they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.

I can only imagine what Mary was thinking as she held this tiny baby - the Son of God made flesh. As I held our little one tonight, I looked at his little ears - his mouth. His hands. I talked to God about our little Everett. I wonder what exactly it was that Mary "treasured and pondered in her heart."

Mark Lowry wrote the song "Mary Did You Know" and when I heard Mark sing it, it gave me goose bumps. When he wrote the song, it was full of questions to Mary. Did she know that one day her son would walk on water - would save our sons and daughters - would give sight to a blind man - would calm the storm with his hand. Did Mary know that one day her son would rule the nation. Did Mary know that the little child who's cheeks she kissed - that HE - JESUS was the great "I AM"...

This is Christmas - and this is what it is all about. The fact that Jesus came as a babe in a manger - all part of the amazing plan of salvation. I know - sometimes it is mind boggling!
That God sent his son Jesus to the earth, and then 30 some years later - to go to the cross. The wood of the manger became the wood of the cross so to speak. And he died for my - for our sin.
What a gift! Mercy - Grace - free!!

I know, I know - my thoughts are all a big mishmash... what else is new? I am just sitting here praising God for the great things He has done for me - It began with the babe in the manger - it included the Cross and His death and resurrection! It includes all that He has given me in this life - my family - husband (the best ever) and kids (oh Lord, thank you!) and Grandsons: Jay Benjamin and now little Everett John. The Mighty Lord has done great things for me!! Holy is your name!!

I am very aware that we all walk through stuff... I am still walking through it. I will be the first to say that when bad stuff happens, my first inclination is not to praise! However - when I do, in the midst of the stuff - it is so good. Bad stuff happening does not erase the fact that the Lord is Mighty AND the Lord DOES great things for us. I don't always get God. Sometimes my heart and my head struggle to agree ... but that does not change who God IS!

Tonight I will go to sleep - and wake up on Christmas Day. While there will be a ton of gifts around the tree - the best gifts in my life - can not be bought. Today, on the eve of Christmas - I want to wish you all a very merry Christmas!! May Jesus Christ be very present as you celebrate his birthday tomorrow. It is my prayer for you - that you will also take a few moments to "step out" from the turkey, the decorations, the gifts, the "event"... and to just say -Mighty Lord - you HAVE done great things, beginning with the gift of Christ to the world.. Thank You Lord.

Life

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joy, I came across this quote the other day. It was a good reminder for me! "Circumstances are not the barometer of God's love and goodness - the cross is." I thought it was fitting for your post!
Love,
Deanne

Jean said...

"The Lord hath done great things for us; whereof we ae glad." Ps. 126:3