Wednesday, September 22

God does know the days that He has ordained for our lives...

Today was another long day at the hospital. Long, but pretty good. My sister-in-law and I spent time at the hospital with Mom. Ashley also came, and an aunt and uncle, and Neil (brother-in-law).

It was an interesting day. When we came - Mom was (once again) up and eating breakfast. (if you can call it eating. She eats like a bird, even though she says she is making a pig of herself!)

We (Ellie, Ashley and I) accompanied Mom downstairs for a hair appointment! (yes, in the hospital) and when we came back upstairs, we saw that her doctor was there. While Mom and Ashley went into the hospital room, Elleanore and I spoke with her doctor.

Mom is a miracle case!
The doctor said that her blood (hemoglobin) was coming down, but was not at the point where she had needed a blood transfusion yet.
The other things - (high calcium and other things that are critical and also characteristic of multiple myeloma) were all "good".

You have to remember that last week - on Thursday - she was not very coherent. Her calcium levels in her blood were sky high... which made her confused and very very sleepy. NOT GOOD.
We were all moved into a private room - for final days. And today - she was sitting in a hairdresser's chair!! GO FIGURE.

Now, we know that high calcium is NOT good... among other things. We know that this is round three in this cycle. Each time she gets worse, and doesn't recover to where she was going into the round! Talk about an emotional roller coaster!

Mom is still talking clear at times, remembering details ... and then next thing you know, she is speaking about very random things, and talking to Everett's picture that is taped to her wall. Sometimes we just smile and nod, not knowing what she is talking about.

Tonight I had a talk with my daughter Ashley (via cell) about the day - and about Grandma.
As I mentioned to her - we do not know the number of her days as ordained by God.
So, in the meantime - we visit, we laugh, we weep, we watch, we talk, we hug, we kiss, we reminisce.
In the meantime we take each day as a gift from God - knowing that He is in control of each day of our life. And each night, as I fall into bed for a good night's sleep - I will be thankful for Mom, for each moment together, for each "up" day in a downward spiral.
And so thankful that God knows her days... each and every one. Birth and death.
I am so glad HE knows.

Psalm 139, New Living Translation

16 You saw me before I was born.
Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
before a single day had passed.

17 How precious are your thoughts about me,* O God.
They cannot be numbered!
18 I can't even count them;
they outnumber the grains of sand!
And when I wake up,
you are still with me!


No comments: