Wednesday, September 1

Live Simply ~ Dream Big


I will make a confession. I LOVE rings. Over the past 10 years or so - I have gathered a few silver rings. One of my longest worn favs is the one that says "faith" on it. In fact, the first one wore out and broke. The second one is still in tact, but has been re-shaped.

Then there is the one that I bought in Thailand. Apparently it is called a "worry" ring - because the inside of it spins... and apparently when you get worried, you can spin it around and around and around. I just love spinning it for fun!

A couple weeks ago, I purchased one more. I loved what it said:

Live Simply ~ Dream Big.

Hmmm.... Live Simply! How do you do that? I remember the first time that I questioned how to live simply, was when we went on our first of two mission trips to the Dominican Republic. I came back so touched, and wanted it to be a permanent change of heart, not just one that affected me while I was there, and for a few days after.

I think I have done some change, or should I say I believe the Lord has changed my heart. However, to live simply continues to be a challenge. Let's face it ~ we (meaning you, I, all of us..) just have so much "stuff". I think that really hit home when I began to purge and then pack up my house full of stuff. I gave away boxes... and boxes... and boxes...

I have sometimes looked at our plans (the barn/shop and the house with 5 dedicated bedrooms for bed & breakfast/retreat) and wondered how that is living simply? And then I remember - these plans are the Lords. It was He who laid down the plans on my heart and specified that we needed 5 bedrooms in the house. (which is why last year, when we made application to the R.M. I had to ask for them to give us a variance so we could have 5 bedrooms instead of the 2 they allowed. They granted our request! Praise God!)

Anyhow - back to the Live Simply part. I think that right now - I am learning that, as I live in the loft at our kids house. It is a one room area which is partitioned off with a half wall for the kitchen and a shelf. I am still unloading stuff, and rearranging stuff, and putting stuff back into storage. I am still looking for my cutlery, and for a few other things, but for the most part - we are moved in and have lived here now for a month. There are a few "best" things about all this... definitely living next door to my grandson is a PLUS!! But one of the things I am loving - is the "living simply". There is this new type of freedom. It is quite something. Actually I remember feeling somewhat the same feeling 27 and a half years ago when we moved into the apartment of an older couple who went away on missions. We moved in - put all our stuff in storage, and took over their stuff... Alvin and I and Josh - who was a one year old. (Imagine the fun - a 1 year old in a Seniors Apartment! They loved him!)

Dream Big... this is the second half of my ring. Dream BIG. I do a lot of dreaming. In fact lately I have been having some really weird dreams which I remember... funny how we dream.
What does it mean to dream?

~-~-~-~-~
Dream
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The thoughts, or series of thoughts, or imaginary transactions, which occupy the mind during sleep; a sleeping vision.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A visionary scheme; a wild conceit; an idle fancy; a vagary; a revery; -- in this sense, applied to an imaginary or anticipated state of happiness; as, a dream of bliss; the dream of his youth.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To have ideas or images in the mind while in the state of sleep; to experience sleeping visions; -- often with of; as, to dream of a battle, or of an absent friend.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is the definition I like!

To let the mind run on in idle revery or vagary; to anticipate vaguely as a coming and happy reality; to have a visionary notion or idea; to imagine.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To have a dream of; to see, or have a vision of, in sleep, or in idle fancy; -- often followed by an objective clause.
I have to say that this ministry has been more than a dream. It has been a vision God laid on my heart - 10 years ago. I still remember it... I picked and chose very carefully, those who I shared it with.
It was just a little hard to imagine that God laid it on my heart so detailed.
I haven't really ever used the word dream. I have called it - "the vision" most of the time. I have never said it was mine, but that I am only a conduit through which God shows his might and power. And I am so willing to be used.
I think that the girls and I have done some "dreaming" about what the rooms can look like...colors, decor, themes. We have dreamed about the "feel" of the place. And it is really so cool to see it unfolding with each day that the boys work.
I really want to live simply...
to revel in all that God has for me, for my family, for this ministry.
I really want to dream big...
to dream about how God will use me, my husband, our family for His purposes.

I want to dream about how God will use the shop.
What will happen up there?
Perhaps sessions with a speaker... or perhaps parties...or gatherings for families...
or as someone just mentioned a week or two ago - perhaps a church plant.
Whatever you want God - we want to use this space for your honor and glory.
I want to dream about how women will come, and rest, renew, relax and refresh.
I want to dream about walking paths, and prayer paths, and flower gardens.
I want to dream about good conversations, and hugs...
about tears that will be shared....
and times spent in the chapel!
I want to dream about providing a setting where people will come
and feel like they are in the presence of God!

So right now - I am living in the loft - and living simply.
I want to still my heart more... to breathe deeply and be less hurried (and harried!)
I want to take the time to walk with my grandson...
or have coffee with a friend...
or laugh with my family.

I want to figure out "simple" even while we are building more elaborate than we had ever thought. I also want to "dream big" and to trust God with every step of the way.
Live Simply ~ Dream Big.

O Lord - please help me to do both!

No comments: