Wednesday, September 15

perhaps a glimpse of Heaven


(this was also another song Ashley played and sang to Grandma yesterday, and the catchy tune and words has resonated in my heart ever since...)

I'll Fly Away
Albert E. Brumley


Some glad morning when this life is o'er,
I'll fly away;
To a home on God's celestial shore,
I'll fly away (I'll fly away).

Chorus
I'll fly away, Oh Glory
I'll fly away; (in the morning)
When I die, Hallelujah, by and by,
I'll fly away (I'll fly away).

When the shadows of this life have gone,
I'll fly away;
Like a bird from prison bars has flown,
I'll fly away (I'll fly away)

Chorus

Just a few more weary days and then,
I'll fly away;
To a land where joy shall never end,
I'll fly away (I'll fly away)

Chorus


This morning, as I was getting ready to go back to the hospital to see/be with Mom Klassen, I was thinking back to yesterday, and to something that happened.

It was about 6pm. Ruth (my dear sweet sister-in-law) and I were sitting by Mom's bed. Mom had basically been sleeping. All of a sudden she opened her eyes and said "Everett?" and looked around. It surprised us. Ruth leaned over and said, "No Mom, Everett's not here. Did you think he was? " and we told Mom that Everett was with his mommy in Fargo. Mom just shut her eyes again.

I looked at Ruth and said, "something in me just wondered if she saw Jay" .... and Ruth said, "I know, that is what I was thinking."

Ruth and I had been talking while Mom slept, about Heaven, and what we imagined, based on the Bible, and also based on what we had as our own thoughts. Of course, until we go there - we won't know for sure right? But... I had said to Ruth that when I talked with Mom in emergency a month ago, and we talked about Heaven - I had said "Mom.... you will get to see Jay" to which she had the biggest smile. We also that day, talked about her seeing Dad (husband) and Omi (her mom) and Oma (her mom-in-law) and Mom said, "And my dad. I wonder if I will recognize him - I was only 6 when they took him away (in Russia)"

Now I believe... that when Jay got to heaven - my mom, my dad, my dad in law, ALL knew who Jay Benjamin Klassen was, and greeted him. When I think of Jay in Heaven, I think of him as a boy that can run and play and talk. That gives me such joy and comfort.

So, yesterday, especially that Mom is so weak, and has been fairly emotional when we talk about certain things ... I can not help but wonder (and obviously Ruth was on the same track) if Mom actually got a glimpse of Heaven.....
And whether she did or not...
Whether she just thought she heard our little Everett (on this side of Heaven)
Whether she was dreaming...
It doesn't really matter.

Like Mom said to me a month ago.... she is ready to go "home"...

O sweet Lord... for this day I pray...
For your presence to continue to inhabit and invade Mom's hospital room
For your peace to fall on her
For your comfort for all of us as we sit with her
For your strength - for mom, for us...
For wisdom, and grace and compassion for those who care for her.
We do not know YOUR plan for Mom Lord, BUT we certainly believe that you have one for her life...
And we commit her day, her life to you once again on this Wednesday.
We know that we don't know the future...
But we know who holds it tightly...
It is you Lord...
May we today, have a strong sense of your peace, your power, your presence
May we walk in your strength.
Lord, hear our prayers.
Amen.


No comments: