Thursday, June 30

leaking coffee cup, banana sandwich, and Tuesdays with Morrie

Today I worked.  Feels like my work schedule these past two weeks has been "feast or famine" as last week I worked alot and this week I just worked today.  BUT that is okay ... the "best of both worlds" being I have time off and I have work.  Anyhow today was a work day - I went out on a mobile.  So this morning, I left with my "lunch kit" in hand.  My lunch kit is like a black purse like thingy that actually carries more than just my lunch on most days!  That way, if I can stuff my book, my wallet, my keys, and my datebook along with my lunch - it is good! (especially if I am dragging the work computer bag along, which I was today).

I picked up a Starbucks coffee (with cream, which I only do if I get Starbucks) and drank it over the course of my shift.  I was able to pull my book out and read a few pages.  It is a great book.  I have had it for a while - but for some reason just never got it read.  But it is good.  It is called TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE (an old man, a young man, and life's greatest lesson).

Today something struck me.  It was the chapter on marriage.  Mitch (author) and Morrie are talking about marriage.  Morrie (who is dying from ALS) is married to his sweetheart Charlotte for forty-four years.  When Mitch and Morrie were talking the conversation went like this:

"I've learned this much about marriage," he said now.  "You get tested.  You find out who you are, who the other person is, and how you accommodate or don't."
Is there some kind of rule to know if a marriage is going to work"
Morrie smiled.  "things are not that simple, Mitch."
I know.
"Still," he said, "there are a few rules I know to be true about love and marriage:  If you don't respect the other person, you're gonna have a lot of trouble.  If you don't know how to compromise, you're gonna have a lot of trouble.  If you can't talk openly about what goes on between you, you're gonna have a lot of trouble.  And if you don't have a common set of values in life, you're gonna have a lot of trouble.  Your values must be alike."
"And the biggest one of those values, Mitch?"
"Yes?"
"Your belief in the importance of your marriage."
He sniffed, then closed his eyes for a moment.
"Personally," he sighed, his eyes still closed, "I think marriage is a very important thing to do, and you're missing a hell of a lot if you don't try it."
He ended the subject by quoting the poem he believed in like a prayer:  "Love each other or perish."


Tuesdays with Morrie, page 149
~ -- ~ -- ~

Marriage - there is not a day goes by that I am so thankful that at 16, (a long time ago!!) the Lord brought my sweet husband into my life.  He is a gift to me. Especially during this time of building, I see HOW MUCH of a gift he is!  Not a day goes by that we don't laugh together, and yes, we cry together too.  I can't imagine my life without him!  (we celebrate our 33rd anniversary this September)

Life - each day is a gift.  A blessing of many things!  I am so thankful.

Tuesdays with Morrie has been a book that I highly recommend to anyone.  Not only a good read, but full of life lesson's.  You see, Morrie is dying from ALS, and while his health declines, he meets with Mitch Albom and talks about the great lessons in life!

I would lend you my book, but it doesn't look so nice any more.  You see yesterday, my Starbucks coffee leaked a little into by lunch kit, and so my book looks a little used!  And, it likely smells like my peanut butter and banana sandwich too! So maybe you want to pick up your own copy!!  Enjoy the read!  I am.

No comments: