Tuesday, October 26

The Lord IS my shepherd!

Mom has a favorite scripture - and it is Psalm 23.
I know that because quite a few weeks ago, her and I talked one day at the hospital. Mom told me that the other favorite scripture was John 3:16 which is the "gospel in a nutshell" as it used to be called.

I have read and also recited the scriptures to her often. Last night she mouthed the words along with me - and at verse 4 she said out loud "I am not afraid!"

Tonight I talked with her - she didn't open her eyes much today. But I talked, and joked a bit with her... and then told her I was going to pray with her - and I also recited her favorite psalm.
At the part where it said "And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever" - Mom got a big smile on her face.

I had to go out for a while - so Ruth came to spend the evening with mom, and Ash too. I got back and Ruth went home. Now it was time for "just mom and I" time. First I gave her her med through her little "port" in her arm, and then I sat down by the side of her bed, took her hand with my right hand, and with the left I turned the pages of the Word. I began reading through psalm after psalm.

I read Psalm 23 (New Living Translation)

A psalm of David.
1 The Lord is my shepherd;
I have all that I need.
2 He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
3 He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to his name.
4 Even when I walk
through the darkest valley,[a]
I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
protect and comfort me.
5 You prepare a feast for me
in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord
forever.

and later finished with John 3:16 (New Living Translation)

16 “For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

I sat there for a little while and then left. It is late - almost 1 am. Her next needle is at 4 unless she has breakthrough pain. So I should go to bed....

Maybe tonight Mom will see Jesus.... then again, it is all up to HIM.
In His time....
Regardless, she is ready!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

joy...ron and i have been on vacation since the 18th of october in the eastern united states. when we became 'friends' on facebook i became aware of your blog and began to read it. fyi...i have never read a blog before. the stories and sharings of your heart have touched me so deeply and have been my 'bedtime stories' on this vacation. i too, have gone through such a difficult year with the seperation of our dear children jenni and cory. my heart is still soooo broken and i prayed before we left that this trip would somehow be a time of healing for me. i believe that your sharing has helping me in this process - i don't feel quite so alone - and i feel so understood. i am so very sorry for all your pain, and i am also so thankful to you for sharing it with me (via your blog). i still have so very much to work through - but i will make it - and so will you!
i am sorry if my timing is not very good ... i know you and your whole family (some of who are also my family) are going through such a difficult time right now. i pray again that all god's blessings would pour on all of you right now - especially your sweet mom-in-law - her smile will always stay in my mind!
thank you again and god bless!

love,
bev loewen